Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1010 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Best known for their scooter shocks, YSS has quietly been making in-roads on the performance market.
Some years ago the Thai company hired expertise from Europe with many years of experience developing shocks for White Power, Technoflex & Wilburs.
Today YSS is making small runs of high performance shocks for the Big Four special performance bikes.
I have been fortunate that YSS Thailand used their skills on adapting a shock setup for the Scrambler using my bike as a guinea-pig.

Here are the details:

Rear Shocks
Rear fitting of G 366 TRC shocks with correct spring ,
Tailor-made rebound and compression settings.
Installed with correct static sag adjustments.
Length was extended 30 mm from standard shock .

Aussie dealers undergoing YSS training fit my rear shocks
I now have 126 mm stroke , compared to 100 standard of the G366TRC.
YSS will soon be offering this special Scrambler YSS version through their distributors.

Front Forks
Front fork : Use standard spring, modify damping rod and install PD Fork valve 310.

Note they removed my progressive springs I had installed
and reverted to OE with this new fork valve.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
YSS Shocks for Scrambler - Part Deux

Note they removed my progressive springs I had installed
and reverted to OE with this new fork valve.

Walter Preisig [ex White Power] & Aussie dealers rebuild my front forks
Oil weight was 15 W and air chamber for internal use.
Set Oil height and spring preload to carry specific weight.
In my case - substantial!!

See here for front fork setup
http://www.yss.co.th/pd_fork_detail.php

Materials
All aluminium parts are made of 6000 and 7000 series and are hard anodized.
Shafts are C45 and induction hardened, and hard chromed.
Piston ring and guides are made of calibrated Teflon.
This manufacturing process in line with QS9000 & ISO 9002,

German TUV approved and on even parity with the quality of Ohlins or WP.

Quality Control
Since the inclusion of suspension experts from Technoflex,
Wilburs & White Power YSS have gained ISO & TUV ratings.

Quality control for them is paramount even down to DVD
cameras recording the build of each shock
- so they can bactrack to construction should there be a problem.

For the Bonneville
YSS suggest the Z366TR or go with the G366TR for what they call “more extreme use”.
Which they mean by Offroad , Heavy luggage etc

Thruxton
Similarly for the Thruxton they say for normal street use the E 302 the
Z302 and the G302TRC could do the job.
Depending on your budget and need for adjustability.

Distributors
In the USA please use http://www.yssusa.com
The importer's name is Klaus Huenecke.
In the UK / European distributor thru www.yss-europe.com
In Oz - Link are the distributors and in NZ call Jason @ Thunderbikes.

Finally this setup has given me 26mm additional travel
but more importantly firmed up the riding package
and actually making the bike handle both on and off tarmac.

YSS is not just a cost effective option but it also matches the quality
of its more famous European competitors.
See here for their website www.yss.co.th

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Great write-up Rhodie! If I may, let me offer a few insights I've gained running YSS shocks on a Bonneville.

YSS does offer a wide range of shocks, however I've limited my selection to the Z and G series of twin shocks. I've done this based primarily on price. The Economy & Bravo series just didn't do anything for me and I already had other products in their price ranges.

The (Z & G) 302 series of shocks are ideally suited for street ridden Triumph twins which may see some limited off-road/track use. The G366 series is ideal for competition machines or severe-duty street use because of it's more robust construction.

All of the YSS shocks I carry have threaded preload (T) and Rebound Damping adjustment (R). Some have Compression Damping adjustment (C) and/or Length adjustment (L). The shocks I'm using on my flat tracker are the top-of-the-line G366TRCL. The same shocks in a cost-saving street version is the G302TRCL. And as I mentioned in a post a couple of weeks ago, I have 1 or 2 sets of G302TRL at close-out pricing.

I'm having a set of the fork valves installed and tuned as I type. I hope to have a full report soon.

/Mike
BellaCorse

·
Registered
486 Posts
Mike, do you foresee any problems with using the longer length YSS shocks on a Bonnie? I read that the G366 shocks are available through BC up to 380mm (I also read on the YSS site that they can be ordered in 395mm and 420mm, though that seems extreme!).

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Is the fork mod a similar product to the race tech gold valve cartridge emulator?
From what I can see, exactly the same.

And what do you mean by closeout prices, Mike?
$459.99 pair.

Mike, do you foresee any problems with using the longer length YSS shocks on a Bonnie? I read that the G366 shocks are available through BellaCorse up to 380mm (I also read on the YSS site that they can be ordered in 395mm and 420mm, though that seems extreme!).
No problems installing longer shocks as long as you don't go too long. I see that Rhodie use +30mm shocks and from the photos you can see how far the bike is tilted over while on the side stand. Because of his off-road use of the bike, I understand the rational for such a selection. But on a street bike (or primarily street ridded) I would say don't go beyond 360mm. The entire YSS line is available to me, however I only list those products that ' I ' believe are best suited for the Hinckley twin range.

/Mike

·
Registered
486 Posts
Rhodie, do the G366 TRL shocks have 100mm of travel or 126mm of travel? I get the impression that you got "special" G366 TRLs with extra travel in addition to length. I'm thinking that the Honda F3 fork mod combined with 370mm long G366 TRLs would be great, since you could retain something close to stock geometry (rake/trail, anyway) while going to 5.1" of travel up front, 4.9" in the rear.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
G366 TRL Scrambler Shocks

Orpheus
Sorry if it wasn't clear.
The G366 TRL have been extended especially for the Scrambler.
When I spoke to Walter last week, he told me this will be a special Scrambler version -
though they haven't come up with name designation - beyond my name - which I particularly asked them not to.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Result

Cheers Ben. YSS have sent me an email and I have sent them my requirements. If I get a result I will give them a good hammering around the South East of England, and post my results and photo's. If they work half as good as Rhodies look with them on I will be happy. I used to own a GPZ900 and while all my mates were tinkering with the engine - I fitted decent supension units, tyres, and brakes. result -stock engine(dyno-jetted), 30 BHP down on the others, first home every time! Amazes me how suspension is often last on the list of mod's after engine tuning. If you cant take the speed through the bends - your engine expenditure is under-jetted by your shocks! I hopefully will return with something to report on the handling front. Triumph really should offer a suspension upgrade option with the twins - they really are naughty boys waiting to be unleashed. Even Thruxtons dont show the performance potential possible with these engines. I would of found it impossible to resist the Scrambler Plus model at £700 more if there were factory Ohlins or equivalent on it and decent fork internals......... Come on Triumph, it doesnt have to be wobbly to be retro!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Michael at Bellacorse hooked me up with a set of the Z version YSS shocks for my Scrambler. Okay, I only have about 90 miles on them, but they really transformed the feel of the bike. Fully adjustable, much more compliant, planted, and sure.
This is hard to put into words, but the bike just feels like mine now. Set up for me. Before the new shocks, I felt like the bike and I were a bit at odds on the handling front. Now when I ask her to do something I know she will listen.
Weird, huh?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I'm not sure what Walter in Oz is doing for the Scrambler, but Klaus here in the US has an excellent handle on shock body length, stroke length, bushing sizes, spring rates, etc. He came up with a Ducati Sport Classic-specific shock by combining different bits & pieces. I'll look into what is being done for the Scrambler next week.

/Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
6 pot calipers?

I just bought some new stuff from Mike at Bellacorse: YSS 302 rears and Hyperpro progressive and YSS PD emulators. I have some questions and Mike is at mid-Ohio so he won't be back til next week. Plus I'm not sure he would have the answers anyway so mayve someone on ADV can help me.
1) The emulators are some type of plastic (probably Delrin) even tho Mike said they are anodized aluminum. I'm going to send them back. But after reading some threads on the Triumph Rat forum and talking to the folks at Racetech, I think that maybe progreesive springs and emulators is not the correct thing to do. Racetech said the progressives defeat the purpose of the emulators. So I decided to try the progressive springs and made a spacer out of schedule 40 PVC and put the springs in with the 40 wt oil Mike suggested. I have not ridden it yet except with the rear shocks and they seem to make a difference altho I haven't taken it offroad yet. More on that later. I ordered the Racetech springs (non-progressive) and their emulator so depending on how well I like the progressives I may switch to the Racetech setup later.
2) I also bought a 6 piston caliper to replace the stock and an EBC floating disc. I thought it was a Pretech but when it came it said SIX PISTON instead of PRETECH in the embossed logo on the side of the caliper so I'm afraid it's a Chinese knockoff on the Pretech. I've looked at the Pretech website and all their calipers have PRETECH embossed on the side. Also it's a fixed, shimable caliper vs. a floating caliper. Shouldn't the caliper be floating also? Does anyone have any suggestions or reccomendations about calipers? Whcih brands have anyone tried? I've seen some posts on 6 pot calipers here but I can't find them now.
3) I also received the Ventura luggage system. It goes on very easily and looks stout. Only problem is I had to remove the number plate on the left side because it uses the same holes for mounting.
THX in advance for any help.
Bruce

·
Registered
29 Posts
Scram sups mods

Well I fit most of the new stuff Mike from BC sent me Didn't use the YSS emulators just the Hyperpro Progressives with 15wt oil. I took it on a 400 mile shakedown cruise last Thursday in preparation for a long trip thru NM and CO tomorrow. Here are my impressions.
While I'm here does anyone have any advice on front fork mods:
I put Hyperpro progressive springs in with a 5/8" spacer to match the old fork length.
Mike at Bellacorse sent me the YSS emulators along with the springs, but I didn't use them because they appear to be Delrin even tho he said they are anodized aluminum(they looked cheap to me). Plus the YSS emulators didn't come with any directions for drilling new holes in the dampers rods and the Hyperpro springs had good directions for a variety of fork styles but no weight marked on the springs or the box so I didn't know how many holes to drill or what spacing. They ranged from 4 holes to 6 holes and different diameter hole sizes.
In all it looked like guesswork and I didn't want to screw up my damper rods w/o clear instructions.
I have also read conflicting reports about using progressives with emulators. Racetech said progressives defaet the purpose of the emulators. I used the 15wt Hyperpro oil Mike sent me with the springs. I can't feel any difference with the progressives- if anything they feel more bouncy and squirrelly than the old springs.
What's your opinion? Will progressive springs work with emulators? Shouldn't the progressives work by themselves with the proper spacer?
I also put on a 6 piston caliper I bought from Bellacorse and when bleeding it noticed the fluid being bled turned black. Does that mean I'm dissolving the seals in the caliper. Triumph said to use only DOT 4 brake fluid and that's what I used- Valvoline DOT4. Am I getting ready to have a complete front brake failure? I'm leaving in a couple days for a trip to NM and CO so I'd like to know in advance. I can't put the old caliper back on because I also changed the front rotor for an EBS floating rotor and put EBC pads on.
Thanks for your help.
Bruce
2006 Scrambler. De-snorked Jenks velocity stack, Non AI, K&N airfilter, Iridium plugs, TORs, TB bash plate, Ventura luggage system, YSS 302 rear shocks, Hyperpro progressives.

I just spoke to Mike at BC and looked on his website and the YSS PD emulators ARE aluminum so I guess they just feel like Delrin. I'll try them after this trip. But I still have the question regarding progressive springs w/ emulators. Does anyone have an opinion on that?
THX
Bruce

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Z302 or Z366

Hi,

I am quite new owner of Scrambler from Finland and I am looking for better suspension. I am quite familiar with European brands, but YSS is totally new, but tempting for me.

My main question is: Are Z302 enough or should I go for Z366 ? I will ride mainly asphalt roads and smaller gravel roads without passenger. No offroad use.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
No worries Mr Haggis. The thing with bike mags i suppose they have a budget and can try a few alternatives which is not always viable for the cash strapped mortal! so have the back end worked out just what the hell am i going to do with the front end?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Interesting article - would like to read the other articles too. (This was "stage 3"

Too bad they didn't get into a little more detail on what they did to the rear shocks. IMO, even with new oil etc, they're still low-end damper rod units, and I much rather would spend my money on some decent aftermarket shocks.

As we said the rear shocks seemed to have fairly heavy springs but little in the way of compression and rebound damping. Sure enough the standard spring is rated at 150lb but, inside, the oil is just 5W meaning that on bumps, while the front was pitching and bouncing up and down the rear spring was constantly firing the back of the bike into the air. The answer was a ProMechA service. Pete keeps the details of the work to himself, not because it's terribly complex but because it's dangerous to start messing with a sealed shock. It's a job best left to the experts.
I kindly disagree with this statement, IMO the shock design itself makes the difference.
The Ikons give a significantly better ride quality and are far and away more suitable for carrying a pillion. Without doubt, it's the extra 20mm that makes the most difference.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Them shocks!

I suppose the lack of detail was for the reason they stated. I havent double checked but the test on the kwacka 1200 had the standard springs altered to good results not up to the standard of what they were replaced with, but that is the point of m'cycle mags to give you options. I am going for Ikons with the extra 20mm. In relation to the altered standard shocks. A club member has a highly modified Thruxton and the main issue he found with his handling was the oil grade (mind this was in his front forks) which had Ikon progressives and Ikon at the rear, he had to play around with grades for a while till achieving the desired result.
I had a look for the other parts of the article when i find them i will post to you.
What knowledge do you have of front forks ? and all this drilling out of tubes etc? I was just going to go progressive not sure know.
I will have another beer then decide
Catch ya later

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
yeah I was going to get the +20mm Ikons too, but forgot to specify that when I ordered them. So I have the stock lenght 7614's. Very happy with them - no more bone jarring hits from the bumps in the road.

Havent touched my forks yet, but they dive a lot, just touching the front brake ever so slightly. So I ordered a set of Ricor fork valves but havent got to install them yet. I'll also order a set of Thruxton preload caps, so I can fine tune spring preload as needed.

Look up the thread "Whats better than progressive springs" here in technical for a discussion on the Ricors.

Other options are Racetech or Traxxion emulators

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
dem springs etc

Thanks Ivar,
Will give it all a look. If you had gone for the + 20mm would you have fitted a steering damper? Or do dampers become redundant if the suspension is optimised?

1 - 20 of 1010 Posts