Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally broke down and ordered a Hagon monoshock for my bouncing bird. Their website said prices were going up in April, and TBS monos just don't turn up very often (not much need to upgrade I guess)

I've searched the threads, since I plan to install it myself. And haven't found a whole lot. Does anyone have some pointers for installing it that might save some headaches?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Welcome to the Hagon club. I just did mine the other week. Do you have a Haynes or factory manual for torque settings?

I did it with the tire off and the auxiliary airbox removed. Some people take out the battery and battery box, too, but I found I was able to access the top nut with the battery in place.

Oh yeah, the top bolt is one of those torx jobs. I think it was the same size as the socket I bought for my frame bolts when I installed the frame sliders.

If you're a heavy guy, put some more preload on the shock before you install it. I'm 220lbs, and I put it in without adjusting it. I then went one rotation more on the preload. It's a little tougher to adjust once it's in place.

You might as well lube your rear linkage while you're at it, too. Good luck, it wasn't very hard.

[ This message was edited by: Rincewind on 2007-03-06 14:29 ]

·
Registered
411 Posts
Chadillac,

Thanks for the heads up on the price increase. I'm overdue to order and this will get me moving.

Over 40 k in mileage and still got the original suspenders. This should be different!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Rincewind (And anyone else with a Hagon rear),

Does the shock do anything to the seat height? (Is this called ride-height?)

I want the rear to be a little higher on my '01 T-Bird and was wondering if this would do it.

Also, where do you order them in the US?

Thanks,

Ryan

[ This message was edited by: Rhinoe on 2007-03-07 10:30 ]

·
Registered
962 Posts
Ryan - you can order it from Dave Quinn - link.

The stock Hagon did not change my seat height.

Edit: Here is a pic compared to the stock shock - they are the same overall length.

[ This message was edited by: Rincewind on 2007-03-07 10:48 ]

·
Registered
962 Posts
I bought the $375 basic model. It's the same length as the stock. I'm not sure about the spring rate, but I do know that the Hagon is fully adjustable, has more coils than the stock, and is worth the money. The back-end of the bike holds the road now rather than jumping all over the place.

Hagon doesn't advertise a longer shock, but I have read here that the TBS shock is longer than the stock TB shock.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I believe there is a remote preload adjuster available for a bit more moola. I'd do it, but I ride both two up and solo.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I may be wrong but I think the TBS shock is the same lengeth and the linkages are different. I remember hearing someone else talk about lowering their TBS by using Legend linkages.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where else can you get pictures of stock t-bird parts next to new aftermarket parts?! That's why I love this site.

Thanks for the pointers and pics, Rincewind.

UpNorth... it's comforting to hear you're at 40K and going strong, makes putting money into my bike seem more like an investment.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
On 2007-03-08 03:46, meanchuck wrote:
I may be wrong but I think the TBS shock is the same lengeth and the linkages are different. I remember hearing someone else talk about lowering their TBS by using Legend linkages.
the TBS shock is longer than the standard TBird. the TBS and the TBird use the same dogbone links. Legend links can be used to lower either as they are a different (longer) part. I am unsure if a legend shock is shorter than a Tbird - I think it may be the same unit but I dont have my parts fiche to hand.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
here's a good thread on the links and adjusting ride height

T-Bird shock links

and the 1/4 x 1 " bar stock is available at home depot , $5 for 3 ft lenghth .

·
Registered
411 Posts
UpNorth... it's comforting to hear you're at 40K and going strong, makes putting money into my bike seem more like an investment.
I put my money where my...uh...I ordered up today. Sprung for the fork springs too. I can't see doing one end without the other at this mileage. Spoke with Dave Quinn himself, very nice fellow.

At about 35,000 miles, I rode to South Carolina in eight hours and then back to Pittsburgh the next day. I have the utmost confidence in the Thunderbird and sincerely plan to put at least 100k miles on it - if I can stay off the Sprint long enough. I may trade the Sprint one day in the distant future but I will have that Thunderbird the rest of my days. I have had the maintenance done by the book and the bike has given me zero trouble so it just makes sense to keep it up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts