Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whilst cleaning the bike on Sunday noticed scoring on the rear shock, i have the settings standard as from the factory and not being a heavyweight at 90kg it looks as though it has been rubbing on the spring has anyone else had this and could it be fixed by stiffening it up?I have searched and couldn't find anything similar:(

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I posted the same thing a while back after noticing the black paint on the shock appeared to have been rubbed by the spring. I began to suspect however that it was from small stones being thrown onto the shock by the rear tire and then being caught by the spring.

There was quite a bit of road resurfacing in my neighborhood last summer using small loose stones and a ton of them were thrown up by the tires the one day I was stuck in the middle of it.

Since no one else at the time seemed to have the same problem, I figured it was the stones and I haven't seemed to acquire any more scratches back there. Have you traveled where little stones were noticably being kicked up by the tire?

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Get a hugger....its one of the reasons I did it. I saw this as an issue and I am sure others who have bought one thought the same thing. It is amazing that its not standard issue...bikes have a front fender...why not a rear..right?

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Ric,

I would like to have something back there to keep the shock clean, but I don't care for the look of most huggers. The only one I would consider is the Speed Triple unit that requires the holes in the swingarm, so that isn't happening. I even tried to purchase the plastic piece for the ABS model that shields the shock and Triumph changed it to where it was ineffective for that purpose.

I remember buying a hand-laid CF hugger for my Kawasaki in 07, putting it on and then realizing I didn't even like it. Ouch!$$ No more huggers for me, but I realize their practicality and that some people love the way they look.

·
Registered
503 Posts
May I suggest a "sock" for your shock. (It rhymes) When I had my Penske rear shock put on the company put a cover over the shock that looks good and protects it. Thus, you don't have to invest in an ugly hugger.

The company is Traxxion and is located in Woodstock, Georgia. The sleeve/sock cost about $18.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Tri-oomph, not certain why you think the ABS shield is ineffective for shock protection. I also do not care for huggers, so I installed the shield, and it does protect the shock.

I ordered the pieces from bikebandit. They don't make it easy to order them because the shield is on the ABS Components page page with a note that the tabs and screws are in the Frame section. They are actually found in the Suspension section on the Rear Sub Frame page.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
OnD,

About 4 months ago I had the dealer order the part shown in the fiche and they called back saying they weren't sure they could get it--said it was unavailable.:confused: A couple of weeks later, they said they could get it, so finally the part came. When I looked at it, I said to the parts guy, "this is not the same as the one on the bike on the showroom floor." Apparently, Triumph has modified it (cut it down) from the one you have to where there is basically no shielding effect left. Then the dealer wanted me to pay the restocking charge which I said "no" to, since the part had changed. They, of course, had no knowledge of it to begin with. I may try Bike Bandit in the spring.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I did not know that. I got mine about two years ago. Too bad they changed it because the old design is effective.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Try to find a rubber "bellows" that you can secure at both ends with either cable ties, jubilee clips, like motorcross ones.....
I had a similar set up on my front forks and rear shocks, used to get as much as three or four years use out of the oil seals before leakage/wear....this on a 65K a year courier bike......

Fully enclosed chains, running in an oil bath, whilst looking like crap ( MZ used to use them I think) will probably extend the chain life by 100%..........!!

Seriously though, a good front fork/ rear shock rubber "bellow" will decrease seal wear remarkably..............though it WON'T look too cool at all.......especially on the front!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts