Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on another forum and posted a ? on how to do this. No response. Anyone here done this and how is it done?

IMO it just looks ssssoooooooo much better without the caps.

Thanks.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Saw this on another forum and posted a ? on how to do this. No response. Anyone here done this and how is it done?

Thanks.
It's easy peasy... all you need is a spring compressor or "shock tool" to compress the spring and you remove the "C" clip on the top... release the spring compressor and take the top cover off, remove the spring, take the bottom cover off, replace the spring, re-install the spring compressor and re-install the "C" clip.... remove spring compressor... done... Repeat for other shock...

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forchetto & SC

Thanks. I've got to do this while my bike is down being repaired from the wreck. The Progressive 412s should be in this week.

I think it just looks way more period!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Learned something new today, I've never sen the "C" clip method, thanks.
Progressive shocks have/use a large "disc" with a slot cut into it that slides around the dampener shaft... thus a "C" clip... It's the best way that I could describe it...

Very simple concept to disassemble the shocks when you see it... Just compress the springs, slide the "clip" out, relieve the spring tension and pull everything apart...

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK now I've got ANOTHER Question....

Talked to my mechanic about pulling the caps. He said not a problem but he wouldn't recommend it. He said that the caps keep the spring in line and stop them from "flexing" (off center line of shock) upon compression.

I can understand what he is talking about but is it really that much of an issue?

·
Registered
940 Posts
OK now I've got ANOTHER Question....

Talked to my mechanic about pulling the caps. He said not a problem but he wouldn't recommend it. He said that the caps keep the spring in line and stop them from "flexing" (off center line of shock) upon compression.

I can understand what he is talking about but is it really that much of an issue?
The caps are purely cosmetic... they have no contact or spring "retaining/flex limiting" capability... There are PLENTY of "naked" shocks out there on the market...

When you get the shocks... give the caps a squeeze... on the 412's, I believe the caps are made of plastic...

On the 440 series, the caps are aluminum and the top cap functions as the preload adjuster...

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Decide to ask Progressive as I was getting conflicting answers. Their response...

" Not an issue to remove the caps they are simply a place to put our logo :) "

ROTFLMAO!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,260 Posts

·
Driftless Admin
2008 Bonneville Black
12,079 Posts
Oh. Great, when I'm done worrying about the brand of oil I use, I'll start worrying about that.

I have those shocks for sale right now, so let's not mention this to anyone, OK?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought a cheap shock compressor so I could install springs on shocks years ago and have never figured out how to put the top cap on while installing with my cheap tool. I have bunches of tops (mostly black plastic) that say Progressive somewhere in the parts bin.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts

·
Driftless Admin
2008 Bonneville Black
12,079 Posts
With denser coils at the bottom, you lower the center of gravity of the bike. I expect the effect of that redistribution of weight is about as noticeable any changes to the harmonic effects of reorienting the springs.

I mean, in a blind taste test, could you tell the difference?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
It does not matter. A spring will act in the same manner either way.
(That came from another thread.)

I wholeheartedly agree. That being said, I do prefer the look of the more tightly spaced coils at the top of the shock.

And to the original poster: Are you asking about removing the dust caps from the stock shocks? As I recall, there are no "C" clips.

/M

·
Premium Member
1,387 Posts
Oh. Great, when I'm done worrying about the brand of oil I use, I'll start worrying about that.

I have those shocks for sale right now, so let's not mention this to anyone, OK?
:eek:I'm worried for you that you're not worried.:(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts