Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Just a quick question.................my bike is a '98 and I've been offered an '03 shock. I know they are different, as I've looked on the Hagon and Triumph website. Is it just something like a preload adjuster, or are they totally incompatable?. Thanks Rob

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
The major difference is length. Trophy shocks vary by about a quarter of an inch (off the top of my head). Not a big deal by itself, but the linkage is a 4:1 ratio so that slight longer or shorter can add up to a bit of difference in the overall height of the bikes rear. 327mm comes to mind, the answers are here on the forum.

If you put your bike on the center stand you can get a good measurement of the eye to eye length, then compare to the one that's available.

Last note: I would not buy a used Triumph shock, they are crap and generally are shagged by 20K miles. Better to spend your coin on the Hagon. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
99 Posts
My original Kayaba shock on my 1996 Trophy 900 failed two weeks after the two year warranty. I bought my Trophy new and still own it. I threw it in the trash as I got no help from Triumph. I bought a Works Preformance rear with a remote and tuned front springs. The bike handles great. I had the rear shock rebuilt two years ago and it as good as new.
Hagons are good shocks but I prefer custom built to my weight and riding style.
Dudley

·
Registered
464 Posts
Just to stir things up a tad,my 99 1200 has the stock shock at 23000 miles and works fine.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just to stir things up a tad,my 99 1200 has the stock shock at 23000 miles and works fine.
I would being willing to bet you would have a different opinion if you road it back to back with a brand new shock. It feels fine as it goes off over time and you adjust. If you replaced it tommorow, it would be a nigt and day difference.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts