Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Rear shock for Legend

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  jackb 
#1 ·
Have a 1999 Legend. Stock rear shock is horrible. Responds to the road like a 2x4. Have a Penske on my Buell that I absolutely love. What brand are people using on their triples and where can I buy one?
Thanks
Phil

#4 ·
I'm just curious why the push for progressive front springs? They are somewhat old school as far as an approach to sorting out problems and I would have thought the pursuit of preload adjustment (with linear springs) and some valve emulators to give adjustability a better investment?

Or is it just a cheaper quick an easy fix that is being sought by most?

#7 ·
Hi,

For a top flight monoshock (fully adjustable, etc...) there appear to be three makes that keep coming up for the T300 models:
- Ohlins > unfortunately I dont think they are still available for our models;
- WP Suspension > I have one of these on my Sprint, and hope to fit one to the TBird;
- Penske > Why not go for one of these?

If cost is an issue, then Hagon does appear to head up the next tier. Hagon now also does a "remote hydraulic spring preload adjuster ..... available to be fitted at the time of purchase" - so you have 2 options.

Ciao,
Geoff

#9 ·
Sorry if this has been discussed in previous threads but...

I have done internet search and cannot find part number for Penske shock for a TB or Legend. Shocks for other Triumphs listed but not our bikes. Does anyone know dealer or part number for Penske?

Also intrigued by Kawi ZX7 suggestion. Can you buy this shock new? Does it bolt right in or require modification? Will it work with Legend?

Thanks

#10 · (Edited)
#11 ·
91-95 ZX-7 (outside U.S. ZXR-750) shock is bolt-in for our Legends, Adventures and T-Birds. I bought mine in autumn and installed it in half an hour. You can buy a new one or try to ask that from Ohlins, Penske or WP or buy a used one like I did. This company has a suitable shock, but they sell it in UK only. But if they have it, you should get it from U.S. too. http://www.harris-performance.com/website/acatalog/Online_Catalog_Kawasaki_shocks_93.html

#12 ·
Hi,

Looking at the Penske site it looks as though you will have to give them a ring:
"Penske Racing Shocks' custom-builds shock absorbers for all forms of motorcycles and riding levels. If you do not see your shock listed above, please call our main office at (610) 375-6180 to speak with a technician about your particular application".

Good luck,
Geoff

#13 ·
I have contacted Penske and they are pricing out a custom build. Sounds a little pricey. Just spent $900 on the Penske for the Buell. I often carry other passengers and loaded hard bags on that bike, so convenient remote adjustment makes sense on that bike. The Legend is my fun short trip bike usually just with me on board. The Hagon sounds like the right fit to please my butt and back and improve handling...and I kind of like the red springs.

#14 ·
Went with ZX-7 shock a year ago and picked it up on EBAY for 35 bucks.....looked nearly new and other than a bit of tweeking as it also has a pre-load setting the shock is a far cry from the kidney buster that came stock. These are also rebuildable unlike the stock one. It raised my rear end up quite a bit but the extra clearence and Avon Storms make the bike a whole differnt animal in the twisties. Best 35 bucks I ever spent and required no shimming. If you go that route take a look at the threads from GregP as he found this replace. I carry a passanger periodically and with the spring set at 3/4 and the pre-load at 4, I've yet to bottom out. My back is still thanking me!

#17 ·
Hagons seem to be the way to go on the back. Has anyone out there replaced the springs and fluids on the forks? Please advise. The 98 adventurer is in need.
A lot of people (including me) have upgrade the front forks with Race Tech progressive springs. They are quite reasonable and make a big difference. Do a search on progressive springs or Race Tech and see what others have to say.

#16 ·
Penske called and said they can make anything, but they don't have the specs on the shock and would need me to send them my shock. F! that! Penske is out. Sounds like the Kawi shock might raise my ride height. Like it just where it is. Going to order the Hagon tomorrow. Thanks for advise.

#18 ·
Installed Hagon shock this weekend. Very simple install. Many thanks to TonyD for his detailed description on shock installation. That center stand certainly comes in handy. Greased rear suspension while I was there. Surprisingly, even though both shocks looked to be exactly the same length, the Hagon did raise the seat height a touch. No big deal, but I am glad I did not go with a TBS or Kawi shock. It is amazing how much a little rise in height will effect your kickstand. I'm sure I would have to change the kickstand if I had used a TBS or Kawi shock. The Hagon made a significant difference in ride quality. Its not as nice as the Penske on my Buell but it is also half the price. The Legend feels just about perfect now. Can't emphasize the difference changing from 17t front sprocket to 18t. The bike is faster at speed, upshifts and downshifts are smoother and the bike even gets better gas mileage. Anyone with a 5-speed and 17t front sprocket needs to change out to the 18t. Best, cheapest mod I have ever done to a bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.