Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 95 Speedy, I was wondering how and if there is any adjustments that I can make on the rear shock, I have some little dial on the side that goes to 4, but it doesn't seem to do anything, is there a collar on the spring that i can turn, I dont see anything of the sort, just looks like a bumper or something like it

any help would be appreciated

thanks
john :???:

·
Registered
49 Posts
That dial is a damping adjustment, I can't remember if it is compression or rebound, but it will either control how quickly your shock compresses or expands. There is also a preload adjustment under the seat. You should see a bolt head that can be turned with a wrench or a ratchet. There is a guage with a silver ball in a graduated tube that I believe goes from 1 to 5. The higher the number, the more the spring is compressed by default, and thus the stiffer the shock is. Sadly, these are the only two adjustments available. The shock is not rebuildable and isn't adjustable for ride height. You can have a stiffer spring installed on it though. The stock spring is 675lb and I believe that the valving can handle up to a 950 lb spring (which is still a bit soft for my fat arse at 235lbs).

By the way (and not to jack this thread as this is sort of related), if anyone knows how to adjsut the ride height on this bike without a new rear shock, it would be very helpful!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, and thats a bummer,,,anyone know of a good swap so I can get a bit more adjustibility?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I know that Penske makes a fully adjustable one that will fit the '95 S3. I think it is $700 or more. If I had deep pockets, I'd have one tomorrow.

May I ask what you want to do with the bike, what you want to do that the rear shock isn't doing? I bought my '95 about 6 months ago and have been turning it into a track bike. In stock form, it handles like a pig, but I was able to do some "cheap" mods and make it handle pretty decent (with some serious help from Traxxion Dynamics). I think I have a little under $500 in the suspension (both front and rear) and the difference is incredible. About $100 of that was a fork rebuild that was needed anyway.

If you have the cash, the sky is the limit; give Traxxion a call. If you are on a budget, I'd be happy to share what I did. Here is a pic of mine with most of the suspension mods done...

·
Registered
89 Posts
The Penske can be had in two forms 2 way adjustable and three way. 2 way is 715 three way is 1053, WP three way plus ride height is 692. I opted for the WP. flip side is I am still waiting. for the penske you have to send yours as they will only match out to yours, having had problems with fitment problems in the past. If you want more info here is a website to visit http://www.le-suspension.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=22
Hey whiplash share more about your suspension a friend of mine talked to me about using traxxion but I had already set up my orders.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well,,what I am wanting from the bike is to stiffin it up quite a bit, I am not small by any means, 280 lbs and when i take the bike out in the twisties its to say the least, a bit mushy, now I ride it everyday as my commuter, but I still want it to perform as much as possible, $700 is a bit too steep though...so on the cheap?? :knkknk:

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just ordered a Hagon last week for my 97 Sprint Sport.

Give the guys at Dave Quinn a call, great help.
And the prices go up April 1, no joke :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone replaced their spring on the rear shock?, and is it possible to do yourself or is this something that I have to send it out for?

John :kck:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well, I am also not tiny at 235lbs. While the bike was mushy, my biggest problem was not the "soft-ness" of the suspension, rather it was the geometry that the soft springs created. The rear shcok compressed a lot when I sat on the bike, causing a cruiser-esque geometry. I.e. the rear was low compared to the front.

I went to traxxion and explained that I didn't have a lot of money, but needed help. The S3 didn't want to turn into a corner, and then I had to wrestle with it to hold a line. If I so much as thought about the front brake mid corner, the triple stood right up.

The first mod was a stiffer spring in the rear. They dyno'ed the rear shock and put on the stiffest spring that it could dampen. I think it is a 950# spring. This is still a bit soft for my weight, but it doesn't pogo. Accompaing this mod, they lowered the front end by lowering the triple clamps relative to the fork, by 10mm past the stock position. The handling was much improved and I was happy.

Everyone that rode the bike said the front end was still very soft. It felt okay to me, but my other bike is an '04 Tiger! I blew a fork seal at a track day and since I was going to have the forks apart, I figured I'd try some springs. I went back to traxxion, and they set me up with some 1.05 rate springs, and some custom made preload spacers (as mine were mysteriously absent when I took the forks apart). In order to damp out the new springs with the stock valving (the stock valving can be changed, but I was short on cash), traxxion put in some seriously heavy fork oil (either 20W or 30W). To compensate for the stiffer springs (and subsequent lack of slag), I lowered the front end another 4mm.

So now the bike is much stiffer and still handles much better than the stock setup. The front may be a tad too stiff, but I think it is about right. It does seem stiff compared to the rear, but this is also the first sport bike I have ever owned. I took it out to the twisties for the first time with the new front end and I think I am going to like it a lot. It gets a track day in April :)

As for Traxxion, they get the highest marks. They always treated me like I was spending serious money, when I probably have less than $500 in the suspension. They work on a lot of bikes, including AMA pro bikes, but always had time to help me with my '95 S3.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am always glad to hear about places that take care of their customers, its rare these days,,,,now this is my first street bike so I dont know what it is doing wrong or right, but I know its far too soft for me, I wish I would have found this site a few weeks ago because I just had my fork seals changed and i would have loved to have had this info before

1 - 10 of 10 Posts