Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering about the comfort of rear sets vs. the stock position. I've got M-Bars on my Bonnie and therefore a more crouched riding position. I'm only 5'9", but my knees bother me when I ride much of a distance. I'm wondering if the rear sets would help, particularly on long rides. I would appreciate hearing your experiences.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
You really don't know until you try. A couple of options are...ride your current set up with your feet on the rear pegs. Extreme yes but will provide some insight.
Second...test a Thruxton at your local dealer.
Many report increased comfort with rearsets and M-bars. Lower and more forward handlebars generally work best with a more forward rotated torso...hips rotate and therefore rearsets are appreciated as a result as they unhinge the hip flexors.
Good Luck,
George

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have m-bars and just installed NH rearsets.

I took my first decent ride with them over the weekend and liked them a lot. It feels a lot more natural to have your feet up and back with the m-bars.

I'm only 5'7" but I found the ride to be just what I was looking for.

The only thing that is taking some getting used to is the pegs are exactly where my feet want to be when I come to a stop. I'm getting used to it now, but it took some adjustment.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'll put in a vote for the LSL's. I kind of like the look of the clear anodized aluminum vs the factory looking NH ones (especially once i get off my ass and put my carbon front fender and and dashboard on) I'm about 5'7" and didn't notice much difference in leg comfort between mbars with stock controls and going to rear sets. I did notice my back didnt feel as beat up and the bike felt WAY better in the twisties after i put the rear sets.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Yes get them. I am 5' 7" and hated - and I mean hated - the stock position on the bonnie. My hips and legs were cramped and most importantly, the sodding footpegs got in the way of my foot when I wanted to put it down at stop. I considered that dangerous.

The M bars went on first, to lower drag and shift weight forward - all on the recommendation of Mototwin.com. What a revelation - handling was much better and the comfort factor soared. A Dart screen helped too.

Shortly thereafter I had the NH semi rearsets installed. Again big difference - the riding position was so much more comfortable and the ride was much more responsive. By this point I had ended up with a bonthrux or thruxbonnie - but more of a bonnie than a thrux.

Then, I test rode a Thruxton and sold the Bonnie. And the world is now a much better place. My NH rearsets and bars went to the USA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts