Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Does anyone recognise the rear rack fitted to this Bonnie on ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=170048428115&rd=1,1

Are they still around?

Nice bike too BTW

(I’ve searched & gone back to page 20 looking for the photo post topic with no luck – I’m sure I seen it yesterday on page 2 or 3)

If the link doesn’t work, maybe someone could pm me their email & I can send a couple of the photos!

[ This message was edited by: Cichlid865 on 2006-11-19 06:06 ]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes, I don't know about other models but that rack comes on the US '79 T140E. If you take a look at the third picture down on:
http://www.gulfcoastrentals.com/images/triumph/78triumph.htm
You will see the rack as it came on my '79.

The last picture shows the same rack modified & installed on my '78... ready for shipment to Vieques Island. I pirated it since I was unable to locate the same thing for sale as new.
Best regards,
Dave :cool:

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
gulf coast
the above rack isnt a stock 79 rack. the package grid is to big top loop is wrong as is fender mounting

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I have no idea who made or where to get the rack shown.
The pictured bike has had many modifications ( note front brake setup, seat ,rearsets, instrument cluster from a T160 or later T140, sidcovers, early taillite ,etc) suspect it may have been custome made or possibly Norman Hyde?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Kadutz... if it is not stock, then mine is not stock either... the 2 appear the same to me.
Now that you mention it, the bracket/fender interface did look a little fishy.

Do you have a picture of the stock rack?

The Thruxton-looking T140 on ebay looks like a good buy... wish it had been around when I was in the market!

Best regards,
GCoastDave :cool:

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
to see a stock rack go to New on Ebay spec Bonnie and year 1979. there are a few '79s out there with correct racks T140D only had grab rail (no rack). 79 rack was small not as large as the one shown in the picture(only good for a 6pack and abox of condoms) and mounted differently also 79 fender was diffferent from earlier fenders The fender shown in the picture is a 76/78 fender(note breather D hose clip hole one open and one filled with a screw) 79 vented into air box

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kadutz & Dave,
Thanks for the replies... It sold for $3650.00US/$4750.00Au
I think that's dirt cheap, not sure what the markets like over there, but I'd think it would go for at least $7500.00 here - I paid $5500.00Au for mine & it's not near as tidy.
Apart from the colour, it's about what I'd like mine to be in 12 months time

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
dang you gots patience to type all dat I will see if I can get into those files after work

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
okay Gulf Coast
I dont get along with negitive ground things (like the computer) and couldnt get any of the pictures you mention the pictures to come up.
presently there are two 79's on EBAY for sale with corrrect racks. A 79 rack will not bolt directly to a 78 fender wihout something being "adjusted"
the rack as shown in the picture looks like it would be set up to bolt onto 73 thru 78 T120/T140V/T140E models.
may be you can get the pictures posted.
Cichlid865
I try not to make comments on price cause I'm cheap and feel the prices all vehicles are changing hands for are obscene.
If you want a bike like the one pictured just work at it. You can do it. when you work on a part rebuliding or repainting
do not accept less than perfection on that one item focus on it only. If you look at the whole project sitting in a lump on the floor( or coffee cans ) you WILL get frustrated. keep a picture in your mind of the finished project but only focus on what the item you are working on. Also dont hesite to job out an item you cannot do be it a bore,valve or paint job.
best of luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kadutz,

Thanks for the advice... I agree with what you say about prices, but the market dictates.
I'm very happy what I got for the money. I've seen basket cases advertised here for $3500.00
I've been looking for a '75 / 76 for a long time.
It's pretty tidy, rego'd, usable & basically stock apart from the paint & a set of reverse cone pipes
I'll post some photos when I get home I get home in December.

[ This message was edited by: Cichlid865 on 2006-11-24 05:19 ]

·
Registered
371 Posts
On 2006-11-21 23:04, KADUTZ wrote:
You can do it. when you work on a part rebuliding or repainting
do not accept less than perfection on that one item focus on it only. If you look at the whole project sitting in a lump on the floor( or coffee cans ) you WILL get frustrated. keep a picture in your mind of the finished project but only focus on what the item you are working on.
zen master!

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
Cichlid865
I looked at the rack on the site you mentioned. that is an aftermarket 79 T140E rack. The turn signal mounting is not the same as a factory rack. Also note where the fender
bracket mounts to the racks.
just noted you have a 75 is the second letter of you VIN number a "K" or "N"?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
KADUTZ

Yes, the rack's not exactly the same, but will serve the purpose. The site lists two racks, one -up to '78 T140E & a second rack for late T140E & D's but shows the same photo for both.

As for the VIN: The bike is currently in NSW & I'm in Queensland working til mid December, so I can't look now. I can ring a friend tomorrow & get him to check.

On purchase the previous owner told me the bike was built in Jan '75. So by that rational second letter should be K. It's registered as a '75
The bike came with full history & was first rego'd in August '75

Why do you ask, is there something wrong with 75's?
Is it because they were the first 'Co-op' bikes? I read in "Triumph Motorcycles - A century of power & passion" that the first bikes (1975-76) built by the Co-op were practically hand built & were better for it. This & the fact that these were the first left hand shift Triumphs were the main reasons I bought a '75 model

[ This message was edited by: Cichlid865 on 2006-11-24 06:21 ]

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I'm not saying the rack cannot be made to work it will NOT BOLT DIRECTLY to the bike you purchased with out some adjustment.
Understand rear fender
1973 thru 1975 T120 (1973/1974) &T140 (1973/1975)same
1976 thru 1978 T140V and 1978E same
difference between early/late fender there is a "bash " on the timing side under the seat to allow for the master cylinder reservoir.
76 and later will fit earlier 73 thru 75 bikes but you cant go the other way
79 thru 81 T140E rear fenders are (I believe ) interchangeable.
and will accept the rack shown directly
79 up T140D fenders are not the same (rack can be made to fit)
Bottom Line the ad you are looking at DOESN'T say 1978 T140E it says T140E
second line says Late T140E and T140D note both lines use the same part number again no years stated
if you want the shown rack purchase a 1979 T140E rear fender along with the rack to have a bolt on item.
regardless you have purchased aT140V
There is nothing wrong with any Triumph twin made as far as I am concerned I want at LEAST one of each.
just curious as 75 is not a common bike if you have a "K"
VIN bike it will be drum rear brake and a RIGHT side shift.
if it is a left hand shift it will be a "N" (1976) and left hand shift with a disc rear wheel.
If you do have a disc brake rear wheel (1976/1977) and you are a "spirited "rider allow the cost for the rebuild of the rear wheel.
78/79 spokes as they are heavier than the 76 spokes which tended to "pop' when pushed hard
also if you have an "AK"VIN it was built prior to time the
Co-Op started building bikes. First one was DK61000
as stated in the book "BONNIE" by JR Nelson Bikes up to VIN EK 62239 number were,I believe were considered 1974

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
KADUTZ,
thanks again for the info on the rear guard.
As for the bike, I've seen a lot more '74/76 bikes for sale than '75's... I've only actually seen 2 '75's for sale, mine & a '75 in Classic bike a couple of months ago - By the photo in the mag, it too, shifted on the left

My bike shifts on the left & has a rear disc, maybe the rear wheel has been changed & the box changed over?

I checked my reference book & it states the factory strike started on 14th Sept. '73 after a meeting with the union & Poore, apparently he told them he intended to close the factory & move the tooling to Small Heath, the strike continued for 18 months, so production should have started in March '75? All bikes were sold back to NVT? It then goes on to mention a road test of the 'Post Blockade' '76 model? No mention of a '75

www.t140.com has a chart which gives the month letter & year letter, but the site's not working at the moment.
Then there's this page to ad confussion:
http://britishspares.com/technical/numbers/triumphnumbers.htm

Which gives me:
A bike built in August '74 in the Triumph model year of 1975 (August '74 - July '75) However, going on my reference, the was NO production in '74!!!

I've looked at a lot of photos of '76 models & mine looks very similar, but too looks like the 'couple' on '75's I've seen.

Bottom line is I'm over the moon with this bike, a solid 18 months looking for the right bike at the right price.
If you PM me your email, I can send you a couple of photos, maybe that might clear it up.

Cheers,

[ This message was edited by: Cichlid865 on 2006-11-26 04:17 ]

1 - 20 of 21 Posts