Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Anyone aware of an aftermarket mud guard for the striple?

The only thing I am not liking on the bare bones stock bike are the mirrors. Would like to hear from others using bar end mounted or other low mirror type, regarding functionality and other pros/cons.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,756 Posts
Your talking tire huggers. Do a search for them and you will come up with a lot of them. When I went looking I wanted one that would actually do some good so I went with a slightly longer one but one that was still low enough to that it looked decent.

http://www.pyramid-plastics.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=128_1220_1243

As for the mirrors. I think the Triumph Bar End Mirrors look the best. They work reasonably well not quite as good as the stock ones but more than well enough.

http://www.store.commoto.com/product_info.php?products_id=991

·
Registered
582 Posts
There's a REALLY good looking one on Ebay. Just do a search for Triumph Street Trple and you'll see it. I would post a link but work blocks Ebay.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the links

Thanks for the tips/links Aaron. I will be stopping by my dealer to see if they have any huggers, and mirrors. Have you changed your mirrors, by the way?

David

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Triumph rear tire hugger

Stopped by my dealer this morning. Triumph makes a rear tire hugger for the Striple, and I had one installed.

I have to say its a bit irritating that Triumph doesn't include this as a stock item on their bikes. 100+ bucks forked over for a piece of plastic that costs pennies to produce!

I looked at the Triumph bar-end mirrors, and although it looks ok, I don't like the feel of having my hand kind of trapped on the grip. Gonna check another shop that carries the rizoma's.

The lines on this one are pretty cool, kinda picks up on the tank form.
http://www.rizoma.com/IMG/Prodotti/Small/BS020B.jpg
Still kinda like the simplicity of this one though.
http://www.rizoma.com/IMG/Prodotti/Small/BS140A.jpg

·
Registered
366 Posts
I love the look of bar-end mirrors. However, I, too tend to hang my hand just off the grip as well (so that's a no-go for the bar end mirrors for me!). My grip is naturally a bit wider than the bars, but I like the narrowness of them. Rizoma DOES have some slick looking mirrors. The price (per mirror) is NOT so slick however! IMO the original Triumph mirrors are too high and have too many angles to it's arm (like someone bent up a coat hanger!). I'd love to be able to mount sleek (and lower) mirrors like those on the newer Ducati Monsters.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I suppose everybody has different tastes regarding looks and functionality.

I find that the Triumph Bar-End mirrors are an absolute delight to look at and makes the Street Triple look amazing, and I'm sure they are also very useful and are functional mirrors. The downside to the mirrors is that they're so expensive!

The stock mirrors, however, are ugly but I honestly think they provide GREAT coverage and are very functional mirrors.

I don't have any problems with the stock mirrors blocking my view or only showing me my shoulders! I suppose that depends on the rider, but I can see people behind me and in my blind spots with no problems at all.

:)

·
Super Moderator
4,756 Posts
I find that the Triumph Bar-End mirrors are an absolute delight to look at and makes the Street Triple look amazing, and I'm sure they are also very useful and are functional mirrors. The downside to the mirrors is that they're so expensive!

:)
I'm making an assumption here regarding your comment about the price because I have heard people say that they were charged for each bar end mirror individually. If this is the case you are getting ripped off plain and simply. I paid $79.95 for the pair of mirrors because that was the price that they cost in the Triumph parts fiche as a pair.

·
Registered
267 Posts
$70 for mirrors is expensive in my book, especially if they're just for aesthetics!

I truly believe that the stock mirrors provide the best functionality!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm making an assumption here regarding your comment about the price because I have heard people say that they were charged for each bar end mirror individually. If this is the case you are getting ripped off plain and simply. I paid $79.95 for the pair of mirrors because that was the price that they cost in the Triumph parts fiche as a pair.
That's good to know! I was told it was $70 PER mirror as they were for individual universal (not left/right specific). Even if $70 per mirror...still about 1/2 the cost of Rizoma mirrors (standard, not bar end). I'm starting to wonder if some dealers have some "schemery" (G.W. Bush word there lol) going on!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like Rizoma Mirrors but the round ones and I think the Rizoma makes the Triumph mirrors too. In person they are about half the size of the stock Triumph mirrors which was too small for me.

Oberon makes some nice ones with a convex glass that gives a wider view. Price wise you will be at least $70 each for brands other than the Triumphs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too went with the Triumph bar end mirrors. $67 for 2..they only come in a set, both are included. You can mount them up or dowm. I preffer up as they wont hit the tank at a complete lock. Its the least expensive acsessory I know of. They are painted black enamel with painted (not sticker) Triuph on the back. They are functional and dont look like elephant ears ; ) They really wont interfere with your hands as they are offset off the bar.

·
Registered
267 Posts
They also don't work with Street Triple Rs unless there is an adapter of some sort. It just seems like too much work to me. I wish Triumph would just make some alternative mirrors for me to waste my money on.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts