Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me, I've been searching for 15 minutes, and I'm at the library which closes in another 15, and I don't have internet at home to continue searching, so Im starting a new thread. Again forgive me, im sure all this has been covered somewhere.

Today while riding home from work, I was stopped waiting to make a left turn and was rear-ended my an old man in a ford f-150. He didn't hit me very hard, I stayed on the bike and kept it upright. Upon pulling to the side of the road, it appears that the only thing damaged was the exhaust pipe(I think the tire took most of the impact. My questions are as follows:

1. Should I drive 2 hours to get the bike looked at by a Triumph dealer? Or take it to the local independent shop.(I want to make sure there is nothing else damaged)

2. I think I have a Triumph Off Road pipe, but I'm not sure, how can I tell?(I want to get accurate prices for the gentlemen who hit me and is paying for the repair)

3. I think the header might be bent, how can I tell?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Go ahead and take it to the dealer. They would have a better idea of where to look for damage and how much the parts would cost.

Just watch out, everytime anyone I know takes a bike in to get an estimate the shop writes up anything with a mark on it, reguardless of whether or not it was damaged by the driver.
If your wanting to stick it to him/his insurance so be it, I personally wouldn't (bad mojo & all).

·
Registered
271 Posts
so..... took my rs to the local dealer, they wrote up every nickle and dime. TOTAL ..$ 6,350... DAMM..............USAA ONLY PAID ME .................. ( $ 6,350.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!! ) SIGHT UNSEEN BY AN ADJUSTER, based only on dealers estimate.i still have the RS with a clear title, 10 K in my pocket.........duhhh, thake it to a dealer and get a shyster.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Welcome hondaguy6513

Hi and welcome hondaguy6513:)

Where are you this is the www?:confused:

The library was a clue but there are a few of those!

The Don and I ask all noobs to please read our forum stickies.

Hope you get your bike sorted soon and enjoy the forum:)

cheers
DaveM:HappySidecar

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Hondaguy,

You say the only damage is to the pipe?

Check the rear turn signals and then (with help, if you can find it) check to make sure the rear wheel is still aligned (or 'straight'). Various ways to do that.

Look at the bike from a good distance away, from the front and the back. See if anything looks wrong. The tail is mounted to a separate subframe, which is easily tweaked.

Check the chain tension. Assuming you knew where it was before, if it appears looser, the rear wheel has moved. Which means BIG MONEY.

If it were me, I'd not put the Triumph pipe on. I like the look of the new 'shorty' that Dolson(?) put on his bike. Otherwise, Two Brothers' pipe has a very nice sound.

Regardless, a new pipe is going to cost you the better part of $500, maybe a c-note less if you find a sale. The TOR pipe is roughly $400, IIRC.

The stock pipe is stainless steel, and has no nameplate on it. I think the TOR has a Triumph badge on it. Of course, if it is CF covered, it is a TOR.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was planning on going with a Two brothers. I'm taking it in to triumph this weekend to have them check it over. I did check the chain tension and it seems pretty close to what it was before.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Triumph offers (offered?), as an accessory, a pipe "For off-road use only" either in Carbon Fiber or in Stainless Steel.

The CF can is not a true 'race' can, as the CF is just a wrap that's there for looks.

AFAIK, the CF and SS cans are the same internally.

I've been told the real race cans (TBR/D&D/Scorpion/Trident/etc.) are significantly lighter than the TOR cans.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
955 TOR cans

For the record the CF and SS can ARE not the same,
at least in the weight dept.:)

I have owned both and the CF can is only a fraction of the weight of the SS can, they also sound quite different.

They are however both "straight through" cans you can see an almost 2" / 50mm clear run from top to tail the sound proofing only being in the walls.

If you had a big steel ball bearing and dropped it in the top of either TOR can for a 955 it would drop straight out the bottom:D

DaveM:Fencing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts