Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new Thunderbird today, love it to bits!
I had it fitted with front and rear crash bars and I have a problem with the rears.
My wife has some difficulty getting onto the pillion what with getting past the pillion back rest and having to lift her legs over the top of the rear bars to reach the pillion pegs which are infront of the bars. but she'll get used to that but then, even when onboard, she finds that the top of the rear bars press against the back of her legs when she's seated. I have had to remove the rear bars.
Has anyone found the same problem and especially is there a mod I can make to move the top of the rear bars back further to give more leg clearance?
I quess the designer has never actually tried to sit on the pillion when crash bars are fitted!
Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have rear bars on mine and my wife said the same at first but when she leans back on the backrest it seems to be ok ( i.e she didn't go on about it). my kids don't seem to have any issues with them, and i mainly ride by my self anyway and have normally just got the single seat on. what i will probally do though is get a set of pillion floor boards so i can adjust them to suit my wife's leg position so the bars don't give her any grief,because i like the old fashion / retro look the bars give the bike and they are not coming off!.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just a bit of an up date since i posted this morning i spun out on a bit of loose blue metal this arvo and dropped the big girl,took abit of bark off my elbow,knee and hip but because of the dresser bar the bike came out of it pretty good . A bit of a ding and scratch on the bottom of my L/h tor ,highway peg, rear dresser bar and the nuts on the gear shift. It was only at slow speed and it pissed me off that it happened but i have learnt a lesson and the crash bars proved that they aren't just cosmetic. Funny how **** happens!?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts