Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've just changed my rear set to a pair of Rizomas. Now it seems that my rear brakes don't engage as per normal. I now have to depress the pedal all the way to get the brakes to engage.

Rizoma installation manual suggests to load the springs on the master cylinder's piston rod to 22mm which I have done.

Anyone experiencing the same problem?

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you replaced the stock rubber hose with the one supplied in the Rizoma kit you may have ended up with air in the brake line that leads to the caliper. Try bleeding your rear brake.

I installed the new Rizoma rear-sets a few weeks back and think the exact opposite of my rear brake. I think the engineering of the Rizoma set has taken out any slop or flex that the stock brake lever had. My rear brakeing has noticeably improved.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I installed them on my brothers bike and the braking power is about half of what it was. I noticed that there are alot of comments about less braking power after the install of the Rizomas. On the positive side, the shifting is more precise.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I installed them on my brothers bike and the braking power is about half of what it was. I noticed that there are alot of comments about less braking power after the install of the Rizomas. On the positive side, the shifting is more precise.
That's just not normal.. there's something not correct about the install.. They don't design these to decrease baking power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I've bled the brakes as well but still no luck. So I decided to adjust the piston rod so that the travel is 2mm lesser. Spring around the pistod rod is now compressed to 20mm instead of the 22mm as recommended. Although this was not as recommended in Rizoma's installation manual, it got the brakes working back as per normal.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Do rizoma's have a return spring on the brake lever ?
does you're brake lever return back after its been pressed. I'm thinking my rear master cylinder is screwed up or something..the lever is not returning back.

Its adjusted properly..not binding or anything.

ITs for GIlles tooling rearsets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes it does come with a return spring which goes around the push rod for the master cylinder. I'm not too sure what Gilles setup is like.

Maybe you can detach the assembly and try to manually push the piston on the master cylinder and see if it returns just isolate the problem to see if it's the master cylinder or the rear set itself. Shouldn't require too much torque to push the piston.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yes it does come with a return spring which goes around the push rod for the master cylinder. I'm not too sure what Gilles setup is like.

Maybe you can detach the assembly and try to manually push the piston on the master cylinder and see if it returns just isolate the problem to see if it's the master cylinder or the rear set itself. Shouldn't require too much torque to push the piston.
thanks for the info.
Gillies does not come with one.

I had a feeling something was wrong with my rear master.
and turned out to be true, my master was shot...It is obvious the previous owner used rear brakes way more cause rear pads are almost worn out.
and at some point, stomped on the rear brake and messed up the rear master return spring ??

anyways
I picked up another Nissin 14 bore master off fleabay and works just fine now. No external spring needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts