Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While giving the TBS a check over before taking it in for its annual safety check I noticed that the rear brake switch was operating oddly.

When I operate the rear brake, the brake light initially dims and then gets brighter but not fully bright.

If I operate the front brake at the same time as the rear, the brake light comes on at full brightness.

I checked the wiring to the rear switch and if I short out the terminals, the light works fine and when I put the multimeter across the switch terminals, it appears to be ok.

I can only assume that there is some issue with the switch itself.

Has anyone observed this problem before?

Are there any replacement switches that can be used other than OEM?

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
I replaced my switch at 20-30,000km. With 77,000+km, it is starting to act strange again. I don't know if you could take it off and try cleaning it with brake clean. I never tried that.
I also don't know if there is a substitute switch for it either.
Not much help, SORRY!

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did give it a good clean on the outside with brake clean ( in case of corrosion etc on the terminals) but did not take it off as I figured I would need to bleed the brake if I did and did not have the time at the time.

The bike is due for a major service (replace all fluids) so I will just replace the switch when I flush the brakes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
In checking mine last night, the rear brake will not illuminate the light but the front does, so appears I have a switch issue also. All wiring appears intact. Going to pull it off and if I see anything obvious I'll post.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I ended up replacing the switch on my 95 bird a year or so ago. It's a 2 minute job. It's a Triumph OEM part and from what I can remeber it wasn't cheap but I have a 95 so I'm getting used to it.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts