Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I know this topic has been covered before, but I want some clarity to my present issue. When pushing my bike backwards I get some Resistance and a squeal from the rear brake. I am going to change the rear pads, but need to sort out the calibers and pots first as I think they are stuck. I get a lot of travel on the rear brake pedal before they bite. Does anyone have a diagram of the rear brake system, and/or any idea how I can sort out these problems. Thanks in advance.
Dee

·
Registered
269 Posts
give the caliper a right good clean.

Remove the calliper (might be easier removing the rear wheel) remove the old pads. Get some brake cleaner from local bike shop/halfords. Spray around the pistons and give a good clean with a toothbrush also clean up the retaining pin with emery paper. Make sure the calliper slides OK. Re-fit the new pads use brake grease on the back of them and the retaining pin, re-fit the calliper. Then bleed the brake until you have changed all the fluid. Should be good as new.

DON NOT TOUCH THE REAR BRAKE LEAVER WHILE THE CALLIPER IS OFF.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I agree with nobby400 except for:
1. Be careful spraying the brake cleaner. You might consider soaking a rag and wiping the caliper pistons.
2. I've not had to remove the wheel to do the rear brakes on my 2003.
3. Apply the grease to the retaining pin and the pistons.

[ This message was edited by: pineygroveshop on 2006-12-03 18:31 ]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Take up a good habit and exercise your brakes. I push the piston back in by hand so it doesn't get stuck in one spot. It should be that easy so you don´t have to use a tool.

Just don't forget to pump the brakes back.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for the help guys. I have never worked at the rear brake on the triumph before, worked on Suzuki's and Honda's etc, and apart from pressing the brake lever whilst the brake is off the bike, is there any other areas I need to be aware off. P.S. Don't have the manual yet, but are there any diagrams or PDF documents showing the rear brake assembly?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts