Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have just returned from my dealer, was to pick up my '07 Sprint today... but there is a NEW recall on the rear brake caliper on the '05 + Sprints....

So... I can't collect the new bike until the parts required turn up!

This recall is apparently a separate issue to the previous recall on the rear brake...

The dealer has a couple of '06 Sprints and a couple of '07 all have to be fitted with the new parts.....

[ This message was edited by: cr8tve on 2006-12-13 01:52 ]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a brand New , Hot off the presses recall for all '05 and after model Sprints....

And is a separate recall to the Suspension bolt and previous brake bolt recall...

The dealer tell me he received Notification on Mon 11th Dec. 2006.

Owners are being notified...it also affects the newly released '07 bikes.... :(

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
It sounds like the suspension bolt as it's still the only Dec recall on the Triumph web site (UK & US). The dealer notifications went out on 4th Dec by web, so most hadn't seen them until a customer went in and said, hey guys what about this recall :)

If they're not sure when they can do yours get them to ensure all bolts/races etc are well greased as part of the pre-delivery and book it in for when the parts arrive. I did 19000K on mine before it snapped and have done 10000K on the replacement bolt (that's not the recall fix as it wasn't out in Sep)

Russ

·
Registered
205 Posts
On 2006-12-13 01:52, cr8tve wrote:
Hi All,

I have just returned from my dealer, was to pick up my '07 Sprint today... but there is a NEW recall on the rear brake caliper on the '05 + Sprints....

I thought I was bad having both an 00 and 06 Sprint, but it looks like you have an 05, 06 and now picking up an 07model. Why so many bikes all the same? :cool:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I no longer have the '05.. :( ( updated )

the '06 is about to be quietly put to pasture.... 95000km ( has been a great year for riding here and with my gf living 400kms away... plus a trip around the coast... :) )

Now... for the '07... mainly cause i Love the Black!! got a good deal and i figure that the 3rd generation should have ironed out the bugs! ( the above mentioned recall does not fill me with confidence... )

All in all.... i really enjoy the Sprint.... does everything i want... and have had limited troubles along the way.... Very satisfied Sprint owner!

[ This message was edited by: cr8tve on 2006-12-13 06:44 ]

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
On 2006-12-13 15:25, bakwheeltango wrote:
I just heard back from my dealer and he said it doesnt effect my 06'
so... somebodys wrong.

not sure who! hope its not my dealer. LOL
Back wheel, my understanding is as follows:

the rear brake "anti-rotation" device recall didn't affect all 05/06 Sprints.

the rear suspension drop link recall affects all 05/06/07 Sprints todate.

Russ

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Above recall is NOT for the Anti-Rotation Device nor the Drag Link...

It is for the Rear Caliper, the kits for the repair have just arrived in Oz.

The recall notice the dealer showed me was on Federal Govt letterhead not from Triumph and is a Vehicle Safety Recall.

The dealer told me that the '06 bikes he has on the floor have to have the kit fitted and the '07 as well... hence the delay in taking delivery of my own '07. ( waiting for the kit.. )

Safe Riding!

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
On 2006-12-14 01:45, cr8tve wrote:
The Above recall is NOT for the Anti-Rotation Device nor the Drag Link...

It is for the Rear Caliper, the kits for the repair have just arrived in Oz.

The recall notice the dealer showed me was on Federal Govt letterhead not from Triumph and is a Vehicle Safety Recall.

The dealer told me that the '06 bikes he has on the floor have to have the kit fitted and the '07 as well... hence the delay in taking delivery of my own '07. ( waiting for the kit.. )

Safe Riding!
Thanks for the explanation. Bloody hell, this is getting annoying - 3 recalls in less than 12 months for most of these bikes and all around the rear end. Since Triumph aren't yet saying anything, how do we find out about this officially?

Russ

·
Registered
937 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. Bloody hell, this is getting annoying - 3 recalls in less than 12 months for most of these bikes and all around the rear end. Since Triumph aren't yet saying anything, how do we find out about this officially?

Russ
Good question, the only recall notice on the Aussie Triumph site concerns panniers and as I've mentioned earlier my dealer is taking the "Problem??? There IS no problem" line. I've used the VIN thingy on the GB Triumph site and it says my bike has outstanding recalls, but how do I communicate that to my local Triumph dealer who is computer illiterate? Going by the posts here I'd say there are at least two recalls outstanding. Extremely frustrating.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Found the government site with the recall.
affects vin
258442 to 272561
Defect: The rear brake caliper may not locate properly against the positioning stud.
Consequences: If the caliper moves excessively the rear swing arm may be damaged.
Corrective action: Triumph dealers will fit a modified caliper carrying positioning stud.
Notif. Date: 23/08/2006
DOTARS No.: R06/116
Supplier Name: TRIUMPH
Campaign No.: #RM2006/003

http://dynamic.dotars.gov.au/recalls/Search_results.asp

·
Registered
937 Posts
On 2006-12-14 16:46, gavinb wrote:
Found the government site with the recall.
affects vin
258442 to 272561
Defect: The rear brake caliper may not locate properly against the positioning stud.
Consequences: If the caliper moves excessively the rear swing arm may be damaged.
Corrective action: Triumph dealers will fit a modified caliper carrying positioning stud.
Notif. Date: 23/08/2006
DOTARS No.: R06/116
Supplier Name: TRIUMPH
Campaign No.: #RM2006/003

http://dynamic.dotars.gov.au/recalls/Search_results.asp
Gav, I think this is the 'Anti-Rotation Device' recall from several months back. Note the date.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some more info...

My '07 VIN 285735 and IS listed on Triumph's new VIN
search function....

I agree Russ it's more than a little frustrating to have so many recalls...

I almost fell of my chair when the dealer told me that my '07 ( Before Delivery!! ) is subject to a recall... :???: :evil:

And I may not be able to take delivery before Christmas... if there are any delays... :mad:

As for finding out 'officially' my dealer only checked because my finance company was aware of the recall... and will not transfer payment til the dealer notifies them (in Writing) the repairs have been carried out!!

If i get anymore info i will post it here....

Safe Riding!!

[ This message was edited by: cr8tve on 2006-12-14 22:19 ]

·
Registered
48 Posts
I could live with a scratched swingarm...would be nice if they fixed the front brakes instead.

Gin, you're my friend, woot!

thats all for now...smells lilke juniper berris and cat piss in here. Yum

·
Registered
157 Posts
On 2006-12-13 06:38, cr8tve wrote:
I no longer have the '05.. :( ( updated )

the '06 is about to be quietly put to pasture.... 95000km ( has been a great year for riding here and with my gf living 400kms away... plus a trip around the coast... :) )
Wow 95000, I assume in one year! I do 1000 kliks a week commuting but that's on four wheels.

Would be interested to know what sort of life you got out of:

Brake pads
Batteries
Tyres
etc etc

Did anything go wrong in that time? Any issues crop up that we might be interested in.

Realise that this is a little bit of the thread but it might be worth a bit of a report on your experience with the 1050 over such a high mileage.

Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts