Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Rear brake issue

3K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  DaveM 
#1 ·
My back brake has just developed a scraping noise when applied, it sounds as if the back brake pads have worn out, is there a sure way of telling without removing them, Ive had a good look but cant see what's going on because of the calliper itself?? The bikes done 7.5 k miles now. Any ideas on how long brake pads wear, i know it depends on use and riding style, bit i certainly aint no Rossi!
Cheers.

#2 ·
If in doubt get the wheel off so you can have a good look on the pads. There's no impossibility to have them worn out after 7.5K but it sounds a little low to me, I'd expect them to normally hold something like 10-12K miles but it very much depends on your riding style. I'd expect you will get any kind of mileage from people here but the only way to be sure is to have a good look at your pads, don't wait, do it now and don't wait until something bad tells you they are out.

#3 ·
I've changed my rear brake pad about the same mileage that you're experiencing this... if that can be of any help... I think the thickness of the pad is probably a lot less than up front 'cause I don't brake a lot from the Front (we should not be anyways) and the front is not done yet...

And if it IS that the pad is worn, change it now before you end up grooving the disc like I did... I had to use sand paper to bring it back (wasnt that bad but...)

#9 ·
STORMRIDER, I just caught this. Have you looked at the difference between the front brakes and the rear?
It's apparent that you don't understand that these are front-weight sport bikes. Meaning that the weight of the bike with rider is biased on the front wheel. As such all the work, turning and braking is done on the front. The rear brake is virtually useless as when slowing down or stopping more weight is transferred to the front.
You have a tremendous amount of braking force at the front it would be wise for you to learn how the use them.

You must be a new rider coming from a cruiser background?

#10 ·
If you are only getting this amount of mileage on the rears, you are using them way too much. This is not "normal" mileage for rear brakes. There is no stopping power in the rear and if you use the rears like this you are just generating heat because the speed and weight of the bike overpower the tiny rear brake assy.
There is a reason that the front brakes are so massive while the rear is so tiny.
This is a sportbike, not a cruiser, It be in your best interest to learn to ride it properly.

#6 ·
These have rear brakes?
As OnD says you probably toast your rear rotor metal to metal in short order.
As far as your question I've seen others use them up faster. You don't rest your foot on the pedal do you?

#7 ·
Stormrider, why do you say that you shouldn't be using the front brakes ? 90% of braking should be the front with the rear only used to steady the bike or to hold it still on an incline.
We have huge twin discs on the front and one small disc at rear.
Doesn't that tell you something about the brake effect between front and rear?

#11 · (Edited)
Had rear brake pads replaced, no damage to disc.
There's about 3k miles left in the fronts. Like Dolson says, the front brake needs to be worked harder.
So Dolson, when riding properly, what kind of mileage can you expect to get out of the front ,v's the rear brake pads assuming non extreme road riding then, whadda ya reckon [oh, and no i don't rest my foot on the brake pedal]???

#13 ·
I asked about resting one's foot on the pedal as that's a common error when you see one getting no mileage or a warped rear brake. No offense.

I've changed out the fronts 3 times and still on the OEM rears. But I'm used to really loading up the front end. Point of fact a lot of Duc and Aprillia riders I know just disconnect the rears. I leave mine as I find the rear useful to hold me at a stop on a hill. Other than that I can't think of a situation where I use the rears.

In the immortal words of Aaron Yates when asked how much he used his rear brakes, "Rear brakes? we don't use no stinkin' rear brakes."

#12 ·
I didn't think I used my front brakes much but when the dealer changed them at the 6000 mile service I had to take another look. I realized I was using them in unison with the front almost every time I stopped.

Now the bike has 20000 miles on it and is nowhere near needing another rear brake replacement.

I stopped using them except in emergency stop situations.

#15 ·
I wish I could remember who made the following statement. I know it was a professional racer.

When asked how much he used his rear brake he said, twice, and I crashed both times.

#17 ·
I've never had to change the rear pads on any bike i've owned (except this Sprint) including my previous bike with 48,000 miles. I just rarely use the rear brake, yet for some odd reason i had to change the pads on the rear of the Sprint at 8,000 miles, one side was good the other close to gone, likely a sticky piston, or perhaps for some reason of different ergos etc i may be inadvertantly resting my foot and dragging the rear? Anyway i'm usually pretty easy on brakes and get about 20,000 miles on a front set so the rears wearing out as quickly as they did surprised me.

#18 ·
I was doing my pre-season once over today (oil change etc). I replaced my front pads (EBC 2H) about 1k miles ago but didn't do the rears cause they had plenty left. Today I did the rear. The old pads were still in fine shape with 16k miles but I replaced them anyway.

So here's my question. Both rear pads were evenly worn about 1/8 inch left. The new EBC pads were of different thicknesses. The non piston backed pad was twice as thick as the piston actuated pad. It's a floating caliper on the rear much like my cars but I've never seen different pad thicknesses. What the reason and are stock Triumph rear pads of different thicknesses?

BTW the EBC 2H's stop great.

#19 ·
Rear Brakes - Rubbing Noise

Hi!
I have a NON ABS 2007 Sprint ST1050 which has developed a rubbing noise in the rear when pushing the bike (no brakes applied). It has 10,000 mile with no brake changes yet. From reading the threads, it looks like the problem may be due to worn brake pads.
But why would it make a rubbing noise if the pads are worn??... Could something like a caliper/piston be stuck because I would think if the pads are worn, there would be more clearance and it would not make a rubbing noise?
So, questions:
1. Could this noise be due to the need for a brake pad change?
2. Why would the noise occur when the brakes are not applied?
3. What is the best way to check the brakes pads? Remove tire?
4. Any special tools needed?
5. Any step by step instructions available?

Any information would be helpful.....

Thank you
SUEZQ:)

#20 ·
Hi!
I have a NON ABS 2007 Sprint ST1050 which has developed a rubbing noise in the rear when pushing the bike (no brakes applied). It has 10,000 mile with no brake changes yet. From reading the threads, it looks like the problem may be due to worn brake pads.
But why would it make a rubbing noise if the pads are worn??... Could something like a caliper/piston be stuck because I would think if the pads are worn, there would be more clearance and it would not make a rubbing noise?
So, questions:
1. Could this noise be due to the need for a brake pad change?
2. Why would the noise occur when the brakes are not applied?
3. What is the best way to check the brakes pads? Remove tire?
4. Any special tools needed?
5. Any step by step instructions available?

Any information would be helpful.....

Thank you
SUEZQ:)
Yes SUEZQ

1) YES you most likely have worn pads, or a sticking piston or both
2) sticking piston
3) pull the calliper off and have a squizz in there
4) nope I don't think so
5) not sure try a search here and in the blogs technical section and in maintenance tips & tricks sure forum and the main Sprint forum I am sure there is one or more.

cheers
DaveM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.