Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a big time issue, just bought my 2008 Triumph Sprint st on or about the beginning of Sept. this year, a granite abs version from Tri-Valley moto in Livermore Ca. It's a beautiful bike to be sure and i have just over 4000 miles on it.
About two weeks ago i notice the rear brake pedal would vibrate when applying/depressing it, kind of bouncy like---so i laid off using the rear brake and did a search on this forum for rear brake issues.
As a habit i always ride on the balls of my feet since i long ago read this was the prescribed method tactically, and naturally i thought with just over 4000 miles the brake pads themselves could not be worn but was surprised as a result of my search that many people got very low mile's out of their rear brake pads.
Last weekend i checked my fluid level at the rear brake master cylinder, still skeptical that the pads themselves could be worn and thus the cause of the vibration; the fluid level was low so i added the dot 4 this past weekend and made a note of checking the pads this week, which i just did. In the interim i did not ride.

Here is the kicker:
i loosened my pad retaining pins, removed the caliper retaining bolts, and low and behold there is no anti-rattle spring, and the pads are nothing but metal, i'm sure the rotor is smoked and i'm thinking what the hedoubletoothpicks?

As i removed the pads facing the rear tire, from behind the bike at 6 o'clock, the pad on the right hand side of the caliper had that C-shaped caliper mounting point at 12 o'clock, to the front of me on the right hand side of the caliper, is this correct? Again i repeat, there was no anti-rattle spring.

Pad part mn146ef nisin was originally installed from the factory with this orientation, does anybody know if this is correct? And what could possibly have happened to my anti-rattle spring?

I called the dealer in Livermore this morning before checking my calipers and paid for/ordered a pair thinking worst case scenario the pads might be worn; if not, i'd hold onto the new pair until they would be needed. Now i'm thinking what could possibly have happened? Was there never a spring installed coming from the factory?

I bought the bike brand new with 11 miles on it and will call the dealer first thing tomorrow but does anybody on this fine forum have any advice?

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
The vibration sounds like a warped rotor. And if your pads are shot at 4,000 miles, that sounds ridiculous! I'd have the dealer fix it under warranty.
My rear brake pads are still good at 6,200 miles, but I have had to top off the rear brake fluid, due to wear.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks caddy [gotta love this forum] and while i do have a dial indicator to check runout, i fear the rotors may be shot? i hope the dealer works with me on this but i still gotta wonder, would the factory perhaps have installed the pads without the anti-rattle spring?

I mean what could have become of that? Did it just vaporise? Where the heck did it go? I'm going to have to ask the dealer, which also sells ktm and bmw for a loaner. I hope they work with me, and personally know the owner. He has always impressed me as someone with integrity and comes across as an honest dude.

I love this bike but man i hope this is the last of the issues and will have to ask that a real pro give a complete all around assessment of the whole machine.:(

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hey Hophead,
When you call Tri-Valley, ask to speak to Mike Meissner about your issue, he's the GM over there and very friendly and helpful. I dealt with him before when I had a warranty issue on my 07 - I bought mine at Cal Moto. Overall they're both very good dealerships, but I get my bike serviced at a private mechanic in San Jose.

Good luck,
- Brian

·
Registered
218 Posts
I love this bike but man i hope this is the last of the issues and will have to ask that a real pro give a complete all around assessment of the whole machine.:(
I have almost 16k miles on my 07, and most of those miles are riding the mountain twisties. Bought it in April 07, and the only real issues I've had on it:

- Found a stripped screw on the gas tank ring when installing a SW Motech tank bag ring (replaced by dealer under warranty with a whole new tank)
- left headlamp bulb burned out (replaced with OEM part, OSRAM silverstars going in next)
- rear brake pads worn down from overuse (stopped using the rear too much)
- left footpeg hex bolts holding the rubber insert backed out, presumably because they had no loctite, since the right footpeg bolts haven't budged (replaced with OEM rubber and 2 new hex bolts with loctite from bikebandit.com)

even with these minor issues, the bike has been a pleasure to ride every mile!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everyone, here's an update on the brake issue:

I'M A DUMBASS!!!!

I bought new pads at the dealer, picked them up friday, went to my storage shed where i keep the bike and tools, looked up into the caliper and there was the spring. so i put the new pads on, went for a ride and discovered, after talking with the kid at the dealer about how it might be possible i was inadvertantly riding the brake without knowing it, and countering it could not be possible, i'd know and since i ride on the balls of my and have been riding for so long and blah blah blah...

My test ride included a trip to the international motorcycle show in san mateo this weekend, about 35 miles of freeway slabbing from my house. The kid was right, i had been using my rear brake almost unconsciously without knowing it.

Not sure why and i've only been back on the triumph for a few months but somehow my riding technique must have changed from my years on my yamaha fz1? And maybe the pad material is a tad weak but i think i've been using them more on this bike. I replaced my front pads on my yamaha at 25,000 and the rear still had plenty showing so i can only conclude that it was rider error.

I will now need to get used to using only the front brake, and btw the vibration i think was the abs kicking in? I feel kind of stupid about the whole thing and need to learn more about my triumph.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts