Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that following heavy use of the rear brake, say half an hour of town riding when most of the braking is done using the rear brake and I always use the rear brake when stationary in traffic (red traffic lights, waiting to give way at junctions, etc.), the rear brake disc gets really hot. Is this normal or should I have it investigated?

Many thanks

·
Registered
171 Posts
If all you are using is the rear it's probably normal unless the disk is bluing then it'x hanging up on you. Use both front and rear every time unless your in town roads are dirt. Front does the majority of your stopping any way.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
You are using your rear brake way too much, imho. I use the front only almost all the time. Handy at stop lights though, and a few other situations.

·
Registered
445 Posts
+1 Goffe. The rear brake is weak by design so it is more difficult to lock up when used in conjunction with the front.

·
Registered
409 Posts
+1 Back sucks on its own unless you are filtering!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks - the rear is used when filtering. the problem is that traffic gets really cloged up and the streets are very narrow so part of the riding is done at walking speed or slower when the front brake is too sharp to use...

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Try to work on your technique. The rear brake IS useful when used right. But, not as the primary brake. Here, we split lanes as well (I think that is what you mean by "filtering") and I still use my front brake exclusively. I use it as a rheostat, slow hands.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts