Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike came with 3 nuts as i previously mentioned with a jerry rigged pile of washers instead of an inner nut on the speedo drive side (right side), anyways a member emailed me a parts list with exploded drawings w/part #s.Thanks again by the way. anyways the listing calls for three different part numbers for the nuts, two outer nuts with the same#, a speedo side inner and a DS inner, my question is, are these all the same thickness? or the inners different? all three of mine are the same thickness.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Ive just been thru this myself. And although not 100% sure, I can say for sure that the left side nuts (both) and the outerright right nut (speedo side) are all the same and quite thick. I "Believe" the inner right but is the odd one out and the thinner one.

Id like confirmation from a fully restored owner though.

The PO on my bike got them the wrong way round in my case so Im only 99% sure on this.

Come on you gurus -- how about some pics to put us at ease!

Cheers.

PS. Ive a 68 Bonnie.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Kev, you are correct. The one thin nut goes on the right hand side, inside the swing arm next to the speedo drive gearbox. There should be a washer between it and the gearbox.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kev, you are correct. The one thin nut goes on the right hand side, inside the swing arm next to the speedo drive gearbox. There should be a washer between it and the gearbox.
Ok then, I need to order one thin nut then.BTW how much thinner is the nut? is it dramatically thinner? or just slightly.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
I think the thick nuts are about .4" the thin one is about .3" so it is considerably thinner. By the way, what year is your bike? It might make a difference.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nicely done Neo Dutch.

Hope to see you on the board more often with pictures like those!

Cheers.
Yes, thank you very much.you know, someone with a lot of parts bikes could probably make a good amount of cash printing a manual with these types of pictures.Even the factory manuals drawings are hard to read IMHO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
68 T120R The thin nut on mine is also .330 and the other 3 are .430.
I always found it strange why the never put a washer between the nut and brake anchor plate where it is only stamped sheet metal. But that's the ay it is. The axle shaft has one thread length shorter than the other. Or one longer than the other. However you want to look at it. The long thread length when I got the assy was on the speedo side. I can remember back which side was which on my 64 or if it mattered. That pic looks like it is also on the speedo side.

·
Registered
904 Posts
On the 64 it doesn't matter because the speedo drives off the transmission and not the rear axle. And, hoo boy, is that connection ever difficult to access...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts