Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,I'm trying to perform the first service on my 09 speed triple.
I have the oil and filter changed and torqued back to the Correct Specifications :~) No Problem......

The problem is trying to service the Chain .... Clean and Lube.

i bought a "Bike lift" Stand for the rear and ordered the Pin for speed triple BUT! it want go in the Left side,the chain side.

does anybody know the Correct pin Size for the left side? the pin i have will fit in the Right side with a little slop, but it's not for that side,it will only go about 1 inch in the left side then the tube tappers down to far for the pin to go any further!

Thanks for any help later Silentrider

And yes i tried the stupid Search :~(

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well I must be the only one using a rear stand :~( on a S3

anyway the dealer is trying to find out why the pin want fit,its what they list for the speed triple,The pin i have measures 27.45 mm I think it was......

Maybe the Dealer will know something tomorrow!

I bought this stand from the Yamaha dealer But it's the same stand the Dealer i bought the S3 From had! i did Buy the oil and filter from the Triumph dealer,Got the Triumph filter and mobil 1,4t oil Semi synthetic..... and a new washer for the Drain Plug :~)

The yamaha dealer was around the corner the triumph dealer across town! both had to order so i went with the closest one and they are a great dealership to work with So Far :~) Nassau Power sports!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I had the same problem with my Bike Lift stand! The pin is a fraction too large, but it's a very easy fix. I just rolled up some P80 grit sandpaper and lightly sanded the inside of the hole. It has a plastic sleeve on the inside, only needs a very light sand and presto.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Pin diameter on the PitBul stand: 29.3mm on right, 27.3mm on left. This gives tight fit necessary for proper stability but not too much so no problems inserting into swingarm.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Very Much Guys Thats what i needed to Know!

Ferris,I thought that was Plastic i was seeing in the hole! thanks for the Info!

Bohdan,So actually the pins from "Bike Lift" are a Touch to big!
Thanks for the info and the Pin size!This thing was on my last nerve LOL :~)

I love my S3 Talk about wheelie power :~) Just Roll the throttle and Hang on!

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
So actually the pins from "Bike Lift" are a Touch to big!
Seems to depend on the bike. My BikeLift worked OK on my 2005 and now on the 2009 without modifications.

I'd blame Triumph factory for sloppy tolerances. On some bikes there is more uncleaned casting snot on the inside of the axle. Also there's the mystery black gunk on the inside; again more on some bikes, less on the others.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cut her down on lathe :~)

Just an up-date to let you guys Know how i addressed My issue with the Pin Not Fitting in the Rear axel....

I Took the Number "Bohdan" Gave me 27.3 MM and Took the Pin to work with me, We have a Top Notch machine Shop with Several lathes :~) I Got Lucky and Caught one of the guys i know with a Little time and empty lathe,he looked in a book wrote down some numbers set the lathe up,and just a Couple of passes and fine tune with a file and i had a pin 27.3 and it fits perfect in the rear axel now!

i thought about sandpapering the inside like "Ferris" But I believe in making the parts fit the bike when possile not the other way around LOL But if i hadn't been able to get it turned down i would have went the Ferris way :~)

Thanks for your replys guys!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts