Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advice, got some very corroded header studs/nuts. The two in the middle the nut has actually disintegrated and flakes away however the stud still feels solid. I plan on swapping them for some stainless studs and nuts, i'm going to soak in penetrating oil and use a blowtorch before trying to remove and hopefully this won't shear the studs and will loosen. Will also remove radiator before attempting.

Any additional tools i might need? i'm planning on using a socket wrench on the nuts that still have their shape and the bolt remover sockets (with reverse spiral flutes) on the really corroded studs.

Attachments

·
Registered
864 Posts
It sounds like you've got it well planned out, the blowtorch is definitely your best bet to free them, I don't think the penetrating fluid will do much unless you're just using it to cool the studs.
Maybe a dremel would be handy to slice the nuts with a cutting disc or even just to clean off the rust with a wire brush to give the socket the best chance.
Let us know how you get on (y)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gr
It sounds like you've got it well planned out, the blowtorch is definitely your best bet to free them, I don't think the penetrating fluid will do much unless you're just using it to cool the studs.
Maybe a dremel would be handy to slice the nuts with a cutting disc or even just to clean off the rust with a wire brush to give the socket the best chance.
Let us know how you get on (y)
Great Thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
If you end up getting nut splitters, get decent ones. I bought a set from Machine Mart to get exhaust nuts off a car and the guide screw sheared on the first use, must've been made of cheese.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts