Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really liking the looks of the Speedmaster, I've been resisting ever since they came out a couple of years ago, and I'm still wanting one. But, I cant get past the 3 gallon tank capacity. I've had several Triumphs from the Hinckley Era Thunderbirds, to the Sprint 955, a couple of Bonnevilles and a 2013 Trophy SE with an almost 7 gallon fuel tank.
Even my Harley has a 5.1 gallon capacity, and my Versys X-300 has a 4.5 gallon tank.

I dont understand Triumph going with smaller and smaller fuel tanks over the last few years. I like to keep going, not stopping every 100 miles to fill up, especially if I'm doing a trip. From those of you who have them, what kind of realistic mileage are you getting from your beautiful machines?

·
Registered
50 Posts
About 49 mpg consistently. So, three gallons gets me a little under 150 miles. I find I need to stop that often anyway on a long trip, to take a brief rest, use the restroom, get a drink, etc. So I don't feel constrained by the tank.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it all depends on how heavy the right hand is, and the type of topography that you're riding, both are some pretty good mpg's. Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
892 Posts
I used to get around 155 miles to the tankful and the low fuel light came on with around 35 miles left to go.

I'm with you though. All my other bikes, including the T120 had bigger tanks. That being said, don't let the smaller tank be a deal breaker. The new Speedmaster is a great bike.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Blusideupp is on the money - getting about 120 miles in the seat before light comes on and squeezing 2.2 gallons back into the tank. Put 1700 miles on the bike now and I have to say the tank size is about right for what the Speedmaster is. I use mine for mixed commute/pleasure riding and love it for that but can’t see wanting to do more than 2hrs at interstate speeds without a wind screen.

·
Registered
87 Posts
According to the meter, I have averaged 61mpg (Imperial) over c4,000 miles. I am getting a range of c160-180 miles per tank,

·
Registered
53 Posts
After a 2800 mile trip I averaged 52.7 MPG total for the overall trip. 80% on secondary roads, 20% on Highways.I did carry a 1500 Liter bottle with me just in case but never used it.

I have a 2018 Speedmaster.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts