Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally gonna take the plunge. I've been riding for about 13 years but have never owned my own. I am smitten with the 07 Thruxton. What a great looking bike. I love the classic styling! I know this page is full of Thruxton lovers, but I have a question. As riding is not new to but ownership is, would the Thruxton be a good choice? How are maintenance issues, costs? Are they reliable? I want to ride as much as possible and not have to worry about the thing breaking down and dumping money into constant repairs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I recently found this forum and thought this would be the best place to get honest answers. Anything you can add to reinforce my decision would be great so feel free. Thanks in advance.

Lou
Tampa, Florida :razz:

·
Registered
421 Posts
First to address your concerns on the service and upkeep. Brit iron is notorious for running, always. The days of oil seepage, or as we that have had older Triumphs etc. call External Lubrication, are gone.

Service on the Thruxton or the other twins, can be done in your garage easily, in fact it is fun. You'll be modding it in no time... Everything is right there and easy to work on.

Mainteance costs are cheap compated to other hosed, faired, fastener bikes. Ask around for recommendations on dealers in your area, as you will hook up with other Triumph owners soon.

Get it, make it your own, and have no fear. These are truely great bikes.

On 2006-12-08 18:30, Mr_Lou wrote:
I'm finally gonna take the plunge. I've been riding for about 13 years but have never owned my own. I am smitten with the 07 Thruxton. What a great looking bike. I love the classic styling! I know this page is full of Thruxton lovers, but I have a question. As riding is not new to but ownership is, would the Thruxton be a good choice? How are maintenance issues, costs? Are they reliable? I want to ride as much as possible and not have to worry about the thing breaking down and dumping money into constant repairs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I recently found this forum and thought this would be the best place to get honest answers. Anything you can add to reinforce my decision would be great so feel free. Thanks in advance.

Lou
Tampa, Florida :razz:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
On 2006-12-08 18:30, Mr_Lou wrote:
I want to ride as much as possible and not have to worry about the thing breaking down and dumping money into constant repairs.
Have no fear. Your post is the reason I went for a new Bonnie, and passed on buying a classic from the 60s.

The Thruxton is a ton o' blast. You'll have great fun.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Thruxton is very reliable and a fun bike to ride.If you get one get hold of me.So we can take them for a spin. Lloyd , Dunnellon, Florida. Cheers.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Get the bike. It's great fun and reliability isn't an issue -almost 8000 miles on mine and it actually seems to run better than when it was new a year ago. Bike is super-tough and components are all high quality. There's a good market for performance parts and accessories.

When you get the bike, you might consider getting an air injection (AI) removal kit. It will reduce the amount that the pipes turn blue. Kit is around $35 and can be done in the parking lot with basic hand tools.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Your not alone , any ? you have most of us can help you with as for me i cant wait to get on the Thruxton and go for a ride, no other bike i have had handles like it , I would ride it anywhere .
took my bike on vacation with only 500 miles on it no problems at all ran it hard for 7 days .
look forward to next summers big run.
also they are a great looking bike, love to ride up on other bikers and have them do a 2nd look at what I'm on .
NOW THE BIG ? WHAT COLOR IS IT ?l

when you get it ride it like you stole it

REMEMBER WHEN YOUR ON THE ROAD RIDE LIKE NO ONE SEE YOU !

have fun

rtt

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Lou - just tore down my motor and at 24,000 miles the bores had only .0001 wear in the cylinder center and none on the ends. Machine shop figures this motor is good for about 150,000 miles before needing rebuilt. The pistons look like brand new, the head was in excellent shape. I've used the 20-50 Vtwin mobil one synthetic and a Scotts reusable oil filter since the dino oil change out at 500 miles. My 12000 mile valve adjustment had all 8 valves a little loose but not by much - I was able to shuffle shims around and only had to purchase 2 from the dealer. It's a very easy motor to work on yourself.

You may be asking yourself "why" did I tear down the motor - thats another story. JCW

·
Registered
112 Posts
No probs re: reliability as was said.

For me the only weak point is the the drop handlebars. Authentic: yes. Comfortable or necessary: No IMHO.

This would be the only reason I wouldn't get one. although I imagine that you can get risers? If you've got an iffy back or get sore wrists then look into it. ;-)

·
Registered
519 Posts
The handlebars are a personal choice... Me, I love em. And I put on average 100 miles a day on mine. Yes every day. I ride it to and from work.

Bought mine in April after getting a new job a little farther from my house than I care to drive my truck. Last night on the way home from a customer call I noticed I hit 10,500. I haven't had it a year yet.

Maintenance so far... Oil change at 600 miles, Oil change at 6,000 miles, Brake pads for the front and rear.

I have literally spent more money buying pipes and mirrors than I have on maintenance.

I did get pulled over once, but that was by a motor cop who wanted one and wanted to ask me about mine...

I love it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for your replies. You twisted my arm. I don't think I will be disappointed. I'm sure I'll have many more questions once I get it. You've all been very helpful.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Just bought a 2007.
Always have owned vintage, but this is my first NEW bike, and I must say I Love it more than any vintage that I have ever owned.

As for the handle bars, not necessary but cafe never the less. If you cant handle them Bonvilles are great. If you want a Thruxton and the bars bother, do some fricken push ups instead of 12oz curls...Thruxtons are not retro classics, they are cafe retro sports and should be treated as so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts