Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mission Motors (based in San Francisco) unveiled its first all electric production sport bike on February 4th. With a lithium ion battery they claim 150 mph, range of 150 miles and 2 hours to recharge. Being an electric motor, there is 100 ft-lb of torque right at 1rpm and it stays flat all the way through. With no gas tank, exhaust or transmission it will surpass the turbine qualities of those other sport tourers.

I for one would sorely miss the music and good vibrations of the triple. Guess you can start to call me a dinosaur with my dino oil ride.

http://www.ridemission.com/index.shtml

They are taking preproduction orders already!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Triple,
Pretty freakin' cool! Although forking over @$68,000 USD is enough to stifle my curiosity. I'd like to ride one though.....
Even if you were to lash out on a tricked up Ducati or Bimota, the change from 68k would still buy a lot of petroleum.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Not quite ready for prime time

Keep in mind that Li-Ion batteries don't last forever. A common benchmark in the barcode industry will have one of these type (albeit smaller) lasting 300 to 500 charge/discharge cycles and then it needs to be replaced. I wonder how much that will cost? :(
At about 50 chg/dischg cycles the capacity will start to drop and pretty soon it's down to 90%, 80%, 70%......as far as your willing to let it go before you spring for another pack. Let's see now - 50% capacity is still good for 75 miles.:D
Will they still be around when you need that replacement? You sure won't be able to get one at Radio Shack.:)
I'll give them another 5 years or so; that way I'll have 40.000 more miles on my Sprint and I might be ready for a different color. :D

·
Premium Member
867 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just wanted to add a wee bit of contrast to the post - I can remember when I thought this was the coolest mini bike ever ... hmmm how times do change - Slainte!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I wonder if electric vehicles will ever take some pride in what's under the hood and bare it for all to see... forget the tacky plastic covers!

I like to see the important bits (like shiney bolts) and am not real impressed with a capsule.

Would you still need freeplay with an electric motor? It'd be nice to stop adjusting the drive chain...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts