Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In another post, FattRat mentioned using the Thruxton preload adjusters on the front forks on his Bonneville. Pat and others who've made this mod ..... how much difference do you feel between least and max preload? The real question .... although the pieces aren't expensive, do the adjusters make a perceptable difference in the front suspension.

Other question ... how much did you trim off the spacers to make room for the adjusters.

Bob

·
Registered
173 Posts
I measured the difference in the Thrux and Bonne caps on the underside and cut a piece of schedule 80 pvc that much shorter than the stock steel tube. I started with the aduster all the way out with 9wt oil in the tubes. It took some trial and error riding to find the sweet spot. I have it turned down 1 level on the adjuster with that wt oil and Hagon springs in the forks and Hagon Nitros in the rear. Good luck.

VR6 :hammer:

I weigh about 250 with full gear on.

[ This message was edited by: VR6 on 2007-03-11 20:20 ]

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks VR6. I'm thinking about installing the Thrux adjusters, and wanted to hear about a couple of approachs for sizing the preload spacers.

I'm thinking about either doing it the way you did, so that soft is all the way out, or maybe shortening the spacer just a touch more so 'normal' would be in the middle, and could adjust for less or more preload by adjusting around the middle adjuster position.

Per Pat's suggestion, I guess installing handlebar spacers or clip on bars are the only answers to provide room to get a wrench on the adjusters.

Bob

[ This message was edited by: ohiorider on 2007-03-12 04:10 ]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts