Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working on my bike recently and accidentally unscrewed the Idle Adjuster Cable until it fell out of the retaining bracket in between the carbs. After HOURS of trying to screw it back in, I checked this here Rat.net site and found someone else had the same problem (see this thread). He ended up having another issue, but he said his mechanic had to re-tap the threading on the bracket. So....

Two questions:

1. What does it take to get that sucker screwed back in there? Do I really have to re-tap the threading?

2. Do I have to take the carbs off to do it?

Thanks!
nick

·
29,948 Posts
I would think you would only have to re tap the thread if it was damaged - you should be able to thread the adjuster back in quite normally.

I'm going from memory now, but I would suggest removing the two screws in the float bowl that hold the retaner bracket on, so that you can keep the cable straight, get it threaded back in, and then reattach the holder bracket. I think that should work, and you should be able to leave the carbs on.

If you really need to re tap that thread, you will likely have to take the carbs off. I'll have another look at it tonight when I get home, unless you've already figured this out - which you may well have!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, prop. after quite a few attempts to screw the cable back in, i'm reasonably confident that the threads are damaged.

when i get home tonight i will see if i can take the bracket off the side of the carbs (didn't know you could do that) and try to screw it on the cable, then re-attach. I'm doubtful that it will be successful, but I'll give it one more try before pulling the carbs off.

i'm perplexed by it, honestly, since i didn't do anything to damage the bracket -- i just unscrewed the cable too much and it fell out -- but now i can't get it screwed back in. it's frustrating that such a small, simple thing is keeping me off my bike!!

thanks again.
nick

·
29,948 Posts
It may be that only the first thread is a bit damaged from trying to get the screw back in, it's difficult to get it to go in straight when the cable is sort of forcing it sideways.

Good luck!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
solved!

i finally got this taken care of. prop's right in his previous post -- it's just too hard to get the angle right when the cable is still in the bracket.

after quite a bit of frustration, the solution was to take the carbs off the bike. it allows for easier removal of the bracket that's screwed into the bottom of the float bowls, and gives a direct access to the threading.

i'm glad i took the extra time. it wasn't that hard to take the carbs off, which is a relief, and now my bike its running again.

thanks, all!
nick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts