Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always liked the matt black, or matt dark grey paintwork on other bikes . I fancy a bit of a change of colour from black to er... black. Some forum members have done very good custom jobs or as I wish to do, just change the colour.

How would I go about it to get a good even and clean finish?, can it be done at home or if not how much would it cost a professional to do it?

I would prefer to change the colour properly and not get drunk in the pub and attack my bike with a tin of Halfords best (like I did last time).

·
Registered
705 Posts
My Steamer was satin black when I bought it but in with the deal was a complete set of red bodywork panels and tank.

I rode it black for a while and everybody thought it looked really menacing - like Darth Vader's bike. I swapped to red when I fancied a change but it was always my intention to go back to black at some point. The satin black was applied by aerosol cans and with careful preparation can look very well finished. the guy who did it could have made it a first class job with a bit more care.

The only downside is that it's not exactly durable and is not as hard as a gloss laquered surface like the original plastics. If ever it scuffed it was a doddle to spray over though!

I expect the professionally applied matt black paint jobs, like Ducati 'Dark' series, are more durable.

Jon

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I changed colour on mine,but rather than risk a***** up,went and bought a secondhand body panel set,headlight cowl,mudguard,side panels and rear hump also bought the tank but never used it just had a different Baglux cover.

Hence why i know the body work of a 900i fits a 955 although it is different.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts