Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted this in the exhaust sticky, but got no responses, so I'm sorry for starting a new thread.

Question 1
How do I remove the the baffle from my new EMGO megaphone mufflers? I installed a pair I purchased from Belacorse on my 2012 Bonnie SE. I love the improvement over stock mufflers, but they are a little to sharp for my taste. I'd like to add some packing around the baffle for a mellower note.

I removed the exhaust tip held on by the three screws, and I can see the baffle is just inside, seemingly press fit into the muffler. But I can't remove it. I've taken the muffler off the bike, and tried pushing it with a broom handle from the other side, but it won't budge. Am I missing something? I don't want to damage the thin metal of the baffle or the muffler by being too forceful.

Question 2.
After installing the new mufflers, I got the expected popping on deceleration. I disabled the AI with a wire nut up the the intake tube, then reinserted it into the airbox (tip from another thread). That really solved the popping issue, and for a while, the bike ran really smooth. I still need to re-map the ECU which will come at an upcoming service. But after running around today, I'm getting some hesitation when at half throttle, cruising at low RPM. Will this go away when I re-map? Should I autotune (20 minute idle)?

As usual, I am very appreciative of all the information I've learned from the collective contribution from everyone on this site. It's such a great online community. :bow

·
Registered
514 Posts
You'll have to be more forceful with the broom handle. Give it a good sharp smack and the baffle will pop out, but be careful the end cap doesn't fly off and scratch the chrome.

Any hesitation should go after the re-map.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Srxy: They are popular and cost effective (and will fit a Bonneville /SE with a centerstand), at about $100/pair. They are among the few mufflers that can also be "tuned" for sound and back pressure by repacking and adding baffles. Maybe you (and the site admin.)could get this info "linked", for a sticky? The best sources to Google are: 1. "Want better sound & looking for a few bucks? Goat's exhaust reloaded." This is from the Ducati forum, 12 pages of posts 2. Go to HondaCRF230L.com / page 3 of exhaust/ Emgo RCM (lots of pics) 3. Google "crum cup mod Emgo" I just added a 4th additional baffle to further quiet mine. Danco crumb cup #89049, Cost $4/pair

1 - 6 of 6 Posts