Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks ... after removing the tank to check my hoses and whatnot to resolve my stalling problem, I'm now having trouble getting the tank to line up ('01 Sprint RS). It doesn't quite sit back for enough for the holes to line up. In other words, that little flange where the front bolt goes overlaps the ring around the fork bolt by about an 1/8 of an inch. Is there a trick to getting it to line up properly? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Get a better light source!

You have something tangled up in the back (obviously). You may have fouled one of the drain hoses, and it folded on you.

Assuming you have both side fairings off, that is.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get a better light source!

You have something tangled up in the back (obviously). You may have fouled one of the drain hoses, and it folded on you.

Assuming you have both side fairings off, that is.
Hmmm ... the new Ohlins I just had installed ... which has turned into a nightmare ... has a remote preload adjuster, which, of course, attaches to the shock with a little hose. I wonder if that hose is what's in my way ... .

·
Registered
888 Posts
It's been my experience, on both my 99 and 02 Sprint ST, that re-installing the tank takes some manipulation. The bolts and their holes very rarely fall right into place. I swore my '02 was getting worse the older it got.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Nah, my tank hasn't fit on my frame in years. I think that if you take it off and put it down on the concrete for a couple days in the heat, the tank warps, being plastic and all. It is hitting the frame in the back, I can see where it is rubbing. I assure you I haven't changed the orientation of my frame on the the bike. It's not hitting anything else, shocks, hoses, etc.

I managed to get it back on with difficulty for a while, but its last trip to the dealer was too much for the poor thing. The mech just left off the bushing and installed a new bolt. I don't have it with me right now, but he might have reamed out the hole a bit too. I left it like that, because it ain't going anywhere.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I agree.......

didn't believe it, but mine was off for about 6 weeks.......and it was a B*&^h to get back on..

I think the plastic tank somehow 'flattens out' making it longer, so you literally have to (carefully) squeeze it a bit as you put it back on.....!!!

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Chill the tank down

Put the tank in the freezer. Cool it down. That should let it shrink up so the holes line back up. I had this problem when I took my tank off, and it got warm on the day that I was putting it back together. The day I was putting it back on, I had problems lining the holes up. I don't have a chest freezer, so I wrapped it in ice and covered it. It shrank enough for the holes to line up nicely. This is a technique that I read about on this forum, so I was prepared for when the tank wouldn't line up.
Let me tell you, some of the guys on this forum are smart. :bow:

I don't remember who posted the freezing suggestion, but I'd sure like to thank them. :D It works!

---Charlie

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree.......

didn't believe it, but mine was off for about 6 weeks.......and it was a B*&^h to get back on..

I think the plastic tank somehow 'flattens out' making it longer, so you literally have to (carefully) squeeze it a bit as you put it back on.....!!!
Same story on my '01 ST, tank came off to install a K&N filter and it didn't go back on easily.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Maybe...just maybe thats why Triumph went back to metal??

personally, as I NEVER use a tank bag, I love the plastic tank...........except when the above fitting scenario apply's.........no more rust in the bottom, when your Bike reaches 18 years old, no 'rust holes' appearing, no need for that expensive 'petseal' to seal/ recondition the tank..................

Just need a BIG freezer cabinet!!!!

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Put the tank in the freezer. Cool it down. That should let it shrink up so the holes line back up. I had this problem when I took my tank off, and it got warm on the day that I was putting it back together. The day I was putting it back on, I had problems lining the holes up. I don't have a chest freezer, so I wrapped it in ice and covered it. It shrank enough for the holes to line up nicely. This is a technique that I read about on this forum, so I was prepared for when the tank wouldn't line up.
Let me tell you, some of the guys on this forum are smart. :bow:

I don't remember who posted the freezing suggestion, but I'd sure like to thank them. :D It works!

---Charlie
By God, I'll do it!

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I'll wager the Ohlins is the problem.

I wish Ohlins still made a shock for the (older) STs...
Penske still makes 'em. You don't get quite the same snob appeal as you'd get with Öhlins, but you do get an excellent shock with gobs of adjustability and user-replaceable springs.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I would never put a fuel tank in a refrigerator or freezer. There's a very good reason why they make explosion-proof refrigerators and freezers.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Maybe it is because I haven't had my coffee yet, but I don't exactly follow that comment? Sorry for being obtuse.

Are you saying that a household refrigerator is not explosion proof and could ignite the tank fumes? If so, that is a good warning.

But aren't the spark producing components outside of the refrigerated compartment? I don't know, just asking. I've had to purchase explosion proof refrigs and freezers in the past but the requirement was driven by the operating environment, not the contents.

I have never needed to put a tank if the refrig, but probably would have done it until reading your post. I figure it is best to err on the side of caution. I certainly incur enough mishaps without ignoring warnings. :D

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
No problem OnD you're not obtuse (maybe a little square sometimes ;);) J/K). No really, you're fine. The explo$ion-proof refrigerator$ in my laboratories are designed to store flammable/volatile solvents and chemicals. Standard refrigerators have several sources of ignition internally. The explosion-proof ones have all wiring buried in the insulation, electrical connections to the compressor isolated, light source shielded, etc.

If you think about it:
small confined space + volatile, flammable vapors + (several) ignition sources = :Surrender

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Could be an expensive way of checking if the little fridge light REALLY comes on......................!!!!!!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I was surprised the first time I filled the tank only to find the clips on the tank bag holder would no longer meet. Now I always loosen the straps put the clips back in and retighten.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts