Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Great info on this forum.

I have a 2006 Tiger with 5000km on the clock and just took delivery of the Triumph after market exhaust kit.

My question is, does the ECM absolutely need to be mapped? I live in Turkey and the closest dealer is 700km (430 miles) away in Istanbul.

Would it be safe to install the can and then ride to the dealer?

Thanks

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hi

I ran mine with the aftermarket can and standard mapping for around 1k miles, then had it mapped.

The remapping gave more torque and re-instated the "popping and burble" on over run which sounds great.

My advise is change it and then get a remap when you can. May be best to just take it a little more steady as she may run a little weak until the remap.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stripes-

I emailed my nephew who use to be a service manager at a Ducati/Truimph dealer in the states. According to him, not remapping will not damage anything. It just my not be as smooth.

I'm putting it on tonight and then I'll try to get up to Istanbul next month to have the dealer adjust the brains.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have recently fitted the Triumph race can and have booked in for the remap on the 9th August.

I notice that the bike is a lot smoother with the new can, but has a big flat spot low down in the revs. Makes filtering a little harder.

I have to say I was not sure about fitting the can as I didn't want anything too loud. The sound level is just right for me.

Paul

·
Registered
269 Posts
On 2006-07-28 06:39, pgatensuk wrote:
I have recently fitted the Triumph race can and have booked in for the remap on the 9th August.

I notice that the bike is a lot smoother with the new can, but has a big flat spot low down in the revs. Makes filtering a little harder.

I have to say I was not sure about fitting the can as I didn't want anything too loud. The sound level is just right for me.

Paul
Once you have it re-mapped it will give you back your bottom end.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a mapped Triumph Off-road can on mine and just ran it 1500 miles. The assessments that I got on this website with respect to how it would sound and run was right on! At 4500 rpm's she starts to purrrr loudly, then with a twist of the throttle she growls and then screams into the next gear! What an amazing upgrade for this bike. I met two guys at a camp site in northern california on my trip. One had a BMW 1200 ST and the other a 1150 R. We ran about 400 miles together and the Tiger kept up and sometimes outperformmed both bikes! What a bike is all I can say!!!
:-D
I've had a huge grin on my face for

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fitted the new exhuast on the weekend. Sounds mean!! The bike does run a little differently. There is a flat spot down low in the range and it seems more free-reving in the mid-range.

Most of the pop and burble is missing now.

But so far so good. I'll get the re-map in a few weeks, and maybe that will restore the backfire noises. What is the program number others have installed?

·
Registered
22 Posts
You must get the re-map done, it's awesome!

I've been running mine for a month with the off road can and no re-map and have noticed the flat spot mentioned in other posts. I have also noticed that I haven't been riding the bike as much.

I had the re-mao done last night and the difference (for me) is staggering. Much more grunt, sounds fantastic and once you hit the 4500 - 5000 rpm mark, the bike just wants to take off.

All in all, the best money I've spent on my baby so far, as it only cost £12 for the re-map!

You think you love your bike now, just wait!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just had my retune done this morning and sure enough the flat spot has gone and pick up is even better at low revs. Mid range seems more willing too.

The interesting bit was that it was tune 10121. Is that a tune 21? I asked my dealer and he said that tune 10121 is the latest tune for the Triumph sports can.

Charged £29.61 for 30 mins works.

Paul
Hertford

·
Registered
151 Posts
Do they really charge you guys for a new tune? I'm starting to really like my dealer, he changes the tunes for free!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I suspect it's a "UK thing". They don't nick-name it treasure island for nothing, you know ;-)

[ This message was edited by: tcowjww on 2006-09-22 13:42 ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts