Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally got a nice day, installed 42 pilots, 125 mains, and turned the pilot screws 2.5 out.
she really runs now. I think I can resist coming over to the dark side , at least for a while.
G :cool:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:asb: there will be no air-box removal!! violators will be dealt with serverely

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Somebody.... SOMEBODY,
show me the Dyno results of:

1) A bike in it's factory configuration,
the very same bike
2) w/snorkle removed, K&N or Uni air filter, and free flow pipes,
how about showing me the difference
3) removal of the divider plate makes,
and prove to me that the power returns of an
4) air box removal & pods is worth the expen$e,
and why not show me that another big chunk of change for
5) after-market carburetors
makes a beast of the once docile Bonnie.

-- OR --

How about a chart outlining the progressive returns of power mod's per dollar. Don't get me wrong, if a guy likes to tinker with his bike..... more power to him! But I believe that if it was put in simple black & white terms, the gains per dollar might disuade some people from sinking money & effort into their bike for small returns. I doubt any of us would admit to ANY regrets for the fun we have had doing it; we do it simply because we gotta do it.

Come on, anybody? :razz:

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2007-02-28 17:46 ]

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Sorry Pat. My bike has been modified, but I've not felt compelled to get it dynoed. It runs like a top and gets decent fuel mileage. It feels a little stronger than stock, but it's no GSXR. Just the same, it is responsive, good handling, and stops well. With widish Superbars and the longer Thruxton shocks it even steers well. I don't feel the need to quantify it any more than that. For the record, my set-up for 900 ft of altitude is as follows:

BellaCorse Teardrop mufflers
Stock airbox with UniFilter, N-H Bellmouth, snorkle removed
#125 mains
#42 pilots
Thruxton needles
idle mixture carefully calibrated with BC thumbscrews

The Teardrop mufflers look just like the Emgos. I have less than $600 in the above mods. This left lots of disposable income for dealing with comfort, braking, appearance, and handling issues.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Look, Shorty. We have settled on the same set-up.
2 stars like us cant be wrong :-D
G

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Pat...I'm convinced that you're correct in your statement concerning money spent as opposed to actual gains obtained (lord knows I'm pretty much of a good example of that :-D ).
Three seperate dyno results have not significantly changed my power or torque outputs ( I should have had a dyno done stock, but didn't). The tinkerer in me just keeps on going. We need to start a chapter of "Triumph Modifiers Anonymous" to get over the addiction.
I've pretty much convinced myself to get the NARK kit and have another dyno run done, but in the end it boils down to the "butt dyno" experience and the satisfaction (in my case anyway) to know that I've learned alot about the bike through experimentation and the feedback from folks like yourself who have helped in making my Bonnie a little better performance wise than what it was intended for.
My Dyno Technician who runs the Dyno at a Honda dealership (but owns a late 60's Bonnie) stated to me that the dyno results from the Bonnie's he has tested are better than any Japanese bike of that class with similar displacement.

Shorty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts