Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
re: cabot trail

Has anyone done this ride in Nova Scotia? (Cabot trail)?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Haven't yet, but my dad and I are gonna ride it over Labor Day this year! We did a section of Pacific Coast Highway a couple years ago, and I'm really looking forward to this trip.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes, did it in the truck though. Wish i had my bike there. Not as long a ride (the Trail) as I had imagined but the views are stunning.

FUEL...
Make damn sure you keep those bikes topped off. Fuel in those parts gets scarce at times.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Cabot Trail

In 2003, the year I got my 02, I took the Cat from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth NS. As you ride off the ferry you are greeted by a Piper in full traditional dress, cool. I had previously ridden the Lighthouse train on the lower Island, so it was straight shot to the Canso Causeway and Cape Breton.
When you go, ride it counterclockwise, you will be on the outside, ocean side. Your views won't be obstructed by guardrails or fences, so easy on the corners! I found debris kicked out on the roadway on the corners so heads up. Watch out for the tour buses and the Blue Hairs too!. ( I can say that I am 60). The roads are not the greatest, but you should take your time and enjoy the view anyway. Lots of bald eagles circling and pods of whales swimming by occasionally.
I have ridden Big Sur, and it's a toss up which road is the more spectacular ride.
The people are very friendly, the food is OK. Check out the Alexander Graham Bell museum in Baddeck, very interesting stuff. Go to the NS website and they will send you a very useful book on all things NS & CBI
We stayed at a campground called McLeods on the west side, it is the cleanest campground I have ever seen, Hammond Lakes in Penn. a close second.
In June we will ride up to Quebec, then ride around the Gaspe, then a week on Cape Breton Island.
On my last trip I rode from Dunvegan, CBI, to Brooklyn Maine in one day, 570 miles on the Sprint, my longest ride in one shot. It was comfortable, kind of cool riding down along the Bay of Fundy, so bring your toaster vest.
Oh, while riding in Canada, fill up when you get NEAR half tank, sometimes the gas station can be few and far between.
Good riding

Mick F

1 - 6 of 6 Posts