Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

just got a 97' t509 w/ 9k miles. I've had it for about a month and recently noticed a softish rattling noise on the lower left hand side, primarily in 1st and 2nd, and it kicks in on the decel at about ~3500rpm.
It's somewhat noticeable in 3rd and 4th, but not as prominent as 1st and 2nd.
It also 'disappears' if I pull in the clutch.

I've been trying to read up on other posts and have heard similar issues such as the cam chain or fuel injectors. Any suggestions?

Is this just a symptom of being an anal owner and proud new parent?

:???:

[ This message was edited by: Arenales on 2006-11-16 14:55 ]

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Noises are very difficult to diagnose without hearing it. I think I hear a new noise from my bike every time I ride, its a noisey engine, but if it worries you take it to a pro to get looked at. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
arenales,

you're probably justa anal like me. one thing i've noticed since switching from a ducati to a triumph is that the thing has a lot of RANDOM noise. i sometimes hear the noise you describe on my '07 Triple in basically the same way. I've had the dealer check it nd everything seema a o.k.
British bikes are machines - and machine make weird noises. Italian bikes are art and there is zero tolerance for things that don't belong. If it run well and the dealer says it's o.k., what else can you do?

·
Registered
583 Posts
just out of curiousity check your chain tension, sometimes this has been a culprit of "noise" for me. the other day i heard some noise and i noticed i had 4 inches of chain slack. won't be a problem when i hit up that 45 tooth.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
On 2006-11-17 00:49, crashmasterd wrote:
Try changing your oil, and be sure to use a good quality synthetic.

Then get back to us.

I find that the 1050 runs a lot smoother with the bit thicker 15W50 oil recommended in the manual than with the usual 10W40 they use at the dealer service.

Not forever of course, so less time from the oil change there is the less mechanical clatter I hear. May be partly just placebo, but I like to change my oil @ every 5000km as oil & filters are very cheap when compared to anything else related to motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I had a similar noise.
The chain rubbing strip (on top of the swing arm) had worn down and the chain was hitting the rear mounting screw the holds the rubbing block.
Half the screw head was worn off by the chain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, thanks all for the advice.

I actually just changed oil and filter. not sure what the dealer had in it as I picked up from a non-triumph dealer.
I put in k&n filter with mobil 1 fully synth, 10w/40.

I'll pry' check the chain first and then take it in for the 12k checkup. It's a bit soon, but what can it hurt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts