Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the ear doctor, who did minor surgery on my ear to prevent "cauliflower ear", which is usually found on boxers and wrestlers. I can't ride for at least a couple of weeks now, until I can get my helmet on.

When trying to determine the cause of the injury, the best choice we have been able to come up with is folding of the ear while putting on my helmet. When I bought the helmet, I thought it might be a bit tight in the cheek pads, but it's been so long since I wore a helmet I accepted the advice of the guy at the bike shop. Well, maybe it is a bit too tight.

Have you any ideas how I can keep my ear from folding up when I put my helmet on? It's a full-face helmet, so I can't just pull the sides out like I could on my old Bell. Any options short of a new helmet?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Articulated Chin Bar Helmet

I use a full face now, but my Nolan would spread quite a bit like an open face while pulling or the ears. Or a scull cap before the helmet goes on.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Your helmet pretty much should be that tight.

Grasp the chin straps and pull outward while donning the helmet. It may take awhile for the helmet to break in. Mine did (Scorpion EXO 1000). Took about 5 weeks before it quit folding my ears over if I didn't put my Slik on first. With the Slik, no problems.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
The flip fronts are much easier to get on. Try one

·
Registered
92 Posts
What kind of helmet to you wear? I own three, and find that my Arai fits the best, and is most comfortable on me. I also own an Scorpion Exo-1000. You might want to look into one of those, as the cheek pads are inflatable with a small pump located in the chin area. It is a nice helmet, but a little to heavy for my personal taste.

Good luck, and hope your find a solution to your problem that will allow you back on the road again soon.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi Dave,

How does your Nolan fair for wind noise? I have the Shoei Multitec and find it is very noisy in every position except for when I crouch down like a hell bent GP racer. Then the wind noise from under the ears disappears 'cause the wind is pushing down from the top of my forehead/crown and the underside is sheltered by my shoulders.

Despite that, I do like the flip up design. Much easier to get on, never suffer from a folded ear and I don't have to remember to take my glasses off before fitting (which I always forget to do as my old open face helmet habit still persists).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
Hi Dave,

How does your Nolan fair for wind noise? I have the Shoei Multitec and find it is very noisy in every position except for when I crouch down like a hell bent GP racer. Then the wind noise from under the ears disappears 'cause the wind is pushing down from the top of my forehead/crown and the underside is sheltered by my shoulders.

Despite that, I do like the flip up design. Much easier to get on, never suffer from a folded ear and I don't have to remember to take my glasses off before fitting (which I always forget to do as my old open face helmet habit still persists).
Tripple Ripple;

I rate it as average to quiet, I also still wear my Suomy Trek and occasionally an HJC.

It is probably a bit quieter than the Suomy and a lot quieter than my HJC which is the noisiest.

I have done about 4 rides with the new Nolan N102 now both on the Sprint and the Daytona and I like it a lot. it is easy to put on and you do not need to take your helmet off at a service (gas) station when filling up or just standing around during a brief stop.

It is also nice and cool to leave it up at slow speeds. The vents are very good at preventing visor fogging, in fact I have owned many helmets over the years and find the anti fogging vents on the Nolan the best yet.

The flip down sun visor is handy too. It is easily removed in about 5 seconds if you want to ride without it.

And both the Nolan and my Suomy have tons of ear space.

Scritch you should try one as I think it would help the ear problem a lot.:)

cheers
DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
I have several helmets, but my Arai Profile is the most comfortable, even though it is a real race fit (i.e. snug). The Arai has fairly generous ear pockets that should address the ear folding issue. They also make it much easier to fit the speakers for my Scala Rider intercom.

By the way, I have would have issues with ear folding too, but I "bite the bullet" and tuck the top of each ear into the helmet with my hand before pulling it on. I got used to doing that when I wore my first full-face helmet, which was also Bell's first and was too stiff to flex by hand. Some people (primarily helmet salespeople) think it isn't "manly" not to don your helmet in one motion, but I'm old enough not to care what they think.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts