Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Triumph has a lot to learn from Harley Davidson. I am the proud owner of a Triumph R3T, the better Road King. But as a Triumph owner, I'm missing a lot compared to what I enjoyed as a Harley owner.

As a HOG member, I could hook up with a HOG group in any Canadian or American city. I could attend their monthly meetings (sponsored by a dealer) or join them on weekly rides, dinner rides, etc. At Sturgis, Harley hosts a pin stop with free food and beverages where you have the opportunity to see the new bikes and get deals on Harley clothing.

Pin stops are not limited to Sturgis either. Recently Harley added the Friday the 13th rally at Port Dover ON to their long list.

There are state, provincial and national rallies. Triumph has none of this.

At the Phoenix Motorcycle Show last November ('08), you could test ride just about any major motorcycle line that you wanted - except Triumph. They weren't even represented there and Phoenix has two dealers, the total number in Alberta.

Anyone else feel like a neglected orphan?

·
Registered
22 Posts
RAT needs help to reduce dissapointment

Your comment about HD being much more sophisticated has at lot in my opinion to do with the consistent market presence, early 1900's to now and the nostalgia associated with HD for the Grey Hairs,( of which I am one). Timing is everything and in HD'S case they were on the money and could develop the HD Club with dealership and technology innovation over many decades.

Triumph has the opportunity to build through its dealerships and bike owners in a potentially shorter time line.
In my opinion Triumph, the Company should be able to communicate directly as they are of events by email.
Greater dealership support to stage events and cross market with other bike focused events would help broaden the exposure of the Triumph logo. As typical most people don't realize that the Bonneville I ride now is new.
For Triumph to link up with a major international market brand, ie transportation sector manufacturer for cross marketing purposes or even raising the profile in racing circles initially would help.
As corporations go through their various stages, start, midlife and close, their focus varies with the maturity level of the corporation and its leadership focus at a period of time.

Short answer yes Triumph can help reduce disappointment with Key dealership support to promote the Triumph name and hold events to attract current and future owners.
As with any organization of common interest, ie RAT, it does start with the individual owner to push the issue, through organizing individual rides and advising Triumph of events to see if they bite.

:)

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Edmonton RAT Group Rides every second Sunday. We leave from the Second Cup on Gateway and 34th Ave.

Western Canadian ralley is in Nelson BC every July. Lots of bikes, lots of beer and lots of laughs.

As a RAT Leader it is very difficult to please everyone not to mention extremely time consuming.

·
Registered
104 Posts
two thing's

Firstly - Caliway always has the best pin up girls as an avitar

Secondly - I live in Calgary and I am jealous of the Edmonton RAT's group. It seems that here in Calgary our dealership forgets about you and the RAT organization after you sign the bottom line on the sales agreement.
If we could have stronger RAT presentation in Calgary we could be stronger province wide.
Caliway, as you are a RAT group leader is there any avenues we can take to organize an annual Alberta RAT event ? Maybe dealer to dealer across the province talks to help out.
I would support a stronger RAT movement in our province if we had help from local dealers. if not, I am going north for my next Triumph.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Canuck,
Despite me getting stuff every second weekend for group members, I rarely get more 4-5 bikes who show up. I have about 100 on my mailing list and it grows by 4 or so every week.

I always look forward to the Nelson Raid because of the turn out. That is the Western Raid and the Alberta Dealships support that raid. I am not sure if we could get them to help out with another Raid.

That being said I am all for trying to get an annual ride and bbq together for Alberta Rats.

I believe that Haggis is the local leader for your Calgary group. Your dealership unfortunately just wants to sell bikes and doesnt care (imo) about you once you leave the door.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey Canuck
I'm the pack leader for Island RATs on Vancouver Island. Caliway is right, it's very time consuming if you do it right. And it's impossible to please everyone. We have a unique situation here too, in that most members are in Victoria but there are lots up Island, like 3 hours away. So organizing inclusive rides is a challenge. But we do have lots of support from Savage Cycles.

But, the main thing I can say is if you don't like the way it's being done, take on the challenge and make it better. If you build it they will come. People like being told what to do, and when to do it. Seriously.:)

·
Registered
108 Posts
better than Toronto

Canada's largest city can't even support a dealer in the city proper (yes I know there is Hamilton, Ajax, and Wasaga) so there is pretty much no RAT action around here. But as has been said, if the group action is part of what you want in motorcycle ownership, take the bit between your teeth and run with it. My $0.02 is that HD spends way too much of it's time creating pins, T-shirts, shot glasses, and meet and greets to help sell their rubbish bikes. I'd rather have a good bike (Triumph / BMW) and not have marketing rammed down my throat. Again just my 2 cents.

Keeping it rubber side down...
dave

·
Registered
12 Posts
More RAT rides

Locally here in Chicago, the dealer is awesome and puts a free RAT keychain and welcome paper from the RAT group into your Triumph folder when you purchase. I really liked this at the point of sale and felt like I was "part of something" by purchasing a Triumph (I own 2). I am envious of the HD culture every time I enter a dealership (up to the point that they treat me like a turd.)

Unfortunately, the RAT group here is not very well organized - buch a great bunch of guys. I have sent a few emails to the president asking him to accept me on their Yahoo groups site to no avail. A few folks are trying to organize monthly rides, but we normally get only a few bikes. I know the dealer is pumping more into the market than that! As a last resort I have actually joined the local Ducati group. When events approach, the president of the group calls me or texts me to join them. There are two rides per month and a bike night during the week. They have a fantastic web site with a message board, pictures, events, etc.

Anyone with successful groups in the US/Canada have any ideas on how I can organize the riders here? I was thinking of approaching the group and seeing if I can help with organization. Do the successful groups use Meet-up?

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
I have bought 2 new Triumph's in the last 9 years and I have never gotten ANYTHING from RAT. No magazine, no patches, no nothing.

DO I care?

No, the bike is fantastic. :)

·
Registered
464 Posts
When I first joined RAT in '97 it cost $35.00 a year for membership dues.You got stuff and there were RAT Raids all over the continent.When it became free it went downhill.You gets what you pays for I guess.

·
Registered
104 Posts
TBirdVI,Calliway,Haggis ( if your reading ).

I know that keeping and organizing something such as RAT is very time consuming and often overlooked.
So cheers to alll the group leaders who try their best, "clink".
Half the commitment to make it a success is by the riders who are involved, doing thing's like showing up for group rides,when available.

I do not want to see RAT going the way of HD and becoming a marketing scheme and bloating image either. I like the idea that its a collective of people who enjoy riding and want to keep the Triumph motorcycle alive.
I also do not like that we do not have RAT support, is this because we do not have enough strength ?
We tend to not be as exploited to our support either, I mean I dont see anyone riding around with R.A.T. badges on their gear or stickers on their bikes, nor do we advertise about a fund raising ride or push to show support when there are other groups doing so. What would it take to start something like a raffle or poker run for a trip to next years Triday's and raise money for something meaningful. Would R.A.T. support initiatives like that?

I have never been part of this or anything like this before. My expectations may be greater than the reality.
Anyway I wish I could make it to Nelson this year as it would be a great time, next year I will !

TbirdVI, I will be heading to your area in late August, Campbell River
to be exact, any tips on a day ride for some enjoyment? Going Kayaking and will need to get some terrafirma time after that.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Canuck,
The sky is the limit. It just takes inniative to do it.

Lots of groups do have RAT badges and it is possible to do stuff like that. Usually your sponsoring dealership with help with the costs of that. I am going to be getting some done out of my dealership for the Northern Group.

RAT ride last Sunday - 2 riders showed up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have bought 2 new Triumph's in the last 9 years and I have never gotten ANYTHING from RAT. No magazine, no patches, no nothing.

DO I care?

No, the bike is fantastic. :)
....do they even still put out the magazine.....i haven't seen one in about a year!

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
....do they even still put out the magazine.....i haven't seen one in about a year!
I don't know. I have never seen one period. I heard that there was a magazine.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
What you guys are overlooking is that what we get Vs what the "other guys" (Harley) get, is a very unique, very reliable, very cool bike.

Granted, Harley has the lifestyle and bling market wrapped up nicely, and good for them.

Triumph, IMHO, does a horrid job of overall Customer Relations / Customer feedback / Customer Communications, etc.

That said, Harley is in DEEP financial trouble, and laying off folks by the hundreds. Their leadership is ever-changing, trying to find a new direction, but recent 2009 2nd Quarter results show a possible need to switch over to "Plan B". Google "HOG Stock".

I've recieved one Triumph magazine back in '07, and it was an embarrassing piece of work, nothing I would show to friends. Nothing at all from Triumph since. Although others have recieved surveys and such - I never have.

Transversely, I've telephoned Triumph in the U.K., and in Atlanta, and both Peter's (wierd?) were extremely nice, and took the time to discuss my questions, etc. I've called about five times on different subjects, (Airbox mod's, Thailand, replacement windshield plastic, Fuel Injection retro-fit, tire width recommendations...) and I am always treated with respect and sincere dignity. No issues there.

Also, our local (south Wisconsin) Ratpack is fantastic, and we have around 8 or so runs/get togethers a year, lots of participants. So it must depend on which Rat-Pack you join.

Again, we get the bike, they get the bling and doo-rags!

·
Premium Member
2,257 Posts
I agree with most of what has been said or implied:

1) RAT isn't perrceived as an organization, it is a marketing channel (hence the magazine is just a targeted brochure).

2) RAT can only improve its service to members if it collects dues, but that is a Catch-22 since members won't pay dues unless they get something for them.

3) The U.S. and Canada are so large that it would be difficult to hold RAT events that were reasonably close to a large percentage of the members.

4) You can't compare RAT and HD's HOG, because HD has become a lifestyle that happens to involve motorcycles at some level (analogous to Goth being a lifestyle that involves black clothing). A big percentage of HOG members want to be identified as participant in the HD lifestyle, so they are naturally joiners.

As a result, the evolution of RAT will have to be driven by grassroots efforts. People that want to participate in group rides should make their interest known via the appropriate forums on this and other web sites. I'm going to take my own advice and post something in the chat rooms!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Edmonton RAT Group Rides every second Sunday. We leave from the Second Cup on Gateway and 34th Ave.

Western Canadian ralley is in Nelson BC every July. Lots of bikes, lots of beer and lots of laughs.

As a RAT Leader it is very difficult to please everyone not to mention extremely time consuming.
Hi Calliway - do you still have rides every second Sunday? I'd be interested - even if it is on the opposite side of town!!! :D

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Hey Diablo - I noticed you upgraded your EX for a Street Triple - Congrats! I love the reds one. My favorite.

As far as rides go, Echo wanted to take the RAT stuff over so Liane and I have pretty much given it back to the dealer. It's a real hard thing to up here. We never had more than 5 riders at a time. RAT Edmonton needs to go back to the riders and I sure the dealership would be happy to hand it back over, I just don't have the time to take it back.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts