Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

Sprint RS... year 2000 or 2002 ...my first Triumph ?

Votes: 1 9.1%

Votes: 10 90.9%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k...new member here....love cult bikes and there following...thats all Ive owned...gonna but an RS...should it be a 2000 or 2002.....does the addt'l 10 hp really matter or is there something else I should know.....Jap bike owner for 30 years....(its still ok to say Jap?)

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Hi RIO_____R, DaveM and I ask all newbies to go through and read the stickies at the top, trying to reduce duplication of effort and keep everyone on a level playing field.

Running a search will yield weeks of reading material for you concerning this difference.

It boils down to, frames and running gear are the same.
Engines though the same displacement are in fact quite different in lay out and type of manufacture. The increase in torque can be felt.
Electrical system was improved.

At the time I bought my "02 new and the differences were explained I opted to pay a bit more for the new '02 than a leftover.

Sorry, I skipped over the RS part. '02 and up engines are still better.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
They had ironed out the wrinkles by 02 onwards. They are a much stronger motor and not just with hp.

Welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
The earlier motah can get you a few extra MPG, but the later is by far one of the best in Triumph's range.......amazing torque, HP enough for most, and if you don't cane it you should avg about 48/50 MPG.............even caned it's hard to get much below 44........

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry, I'm kinda biased.....:rolleyes:

I would like the newer engine though.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Welcome to the forum R Rider

I too would go g=for the Gen 2 motor, more power and some technical improvements to boot.

My '04 Sprint ST 955 has 61,000kms of hard riding on it still going very strong with no real dramas.

DaveM:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts