Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a weird one.

When I'm riding with the throttle on the bike sounds lovely, but when I lower the throttle to slow down I hear a noise I can only describe as raspy or rattling. Its not too loud, you dont hear it with earplugs in, but I just am open to ideas as what it might be as I'm off on a thousand mile trip in a few days.

Love the bike, but wish it wasn't so clunky.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
Got a weird one.

When I'm riding with the throttle on the bike sounds lovely, but when I lower the throttle to slow down I hear a noise I can only describe as raspy or rattling. Its not too loud, you dont hear it with earplugs in, but I just am open to ideas as what it might be as I'm off on a thousand mile trip in a few days.

Love the bike, but wish it wasn't so clunky.
ztolley,

regards the clunkiness, I recommend an urgent oil change and some oils are definitely better than others for gear change smoothness.

Also check clutch lever adjustment and gear change linkage assembly.

I use Motul semi synthetic and have good results, I change out my oil and filter every 5000kms and have good smooth shifts, Don uses Sylkolene and has the same result.

Re the rattle, does it sound like it could be in the exhaust?
Have you bottomed out your suspension recently and ground the rh side main stand ?

cheers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its had a service just 2k miles ago and checked out fine, no issues except a loose alternator. Oil level is fine and gear changes are good, just the usual a little stiff from 1st to 2nd if I start it up in the cold and start off staight away.

What I mean by clunky is the only other bikes i rode where my Honda VTX125 and the schools CBF500's. I expect it to bit a bit clunky, its a 955cc engine and its british :) If only the change into 1st didn't make such a loud clunk.

I'm not sure if the sound comes from the exhaust, its hard to tell, though it does coincide with the change in exhaust sound when you go off the throttle.

The suspensions good, had it all checked at its last service along with a new rear bearing as the old one had worn.

I suspect it might be the alternator again (though the mechanic fixed it last time and said it was sorted then).

Maybe I'll pop along to the guy again tomorrow if he's free to listen to it. As I say, could be nothing, could just be me being over sensitive to bike noises. I just swear it didn't do it before.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Buzzing

This is a little left field, but I had a buzzing that the mechanic was convinced was clutch related.

Quite by chance I traced it back to the nuts that fasten the top tabs of the oil cooler to the underside of the radiator. I had lost one, and it was the oilcooler buzzing in the fitting.

Rexx

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's weird cos it only makes it when the gas is off and you are moving. When I come to a stop it goes away.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Is the noise you are hearing a popping and burbling sound? And it only happens when you roll off the throttle when moving right?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Certainly not a popping or burbling, though there is a low thoaty sound from the exhaust which is normal.

Its metalic raspy and when its more pronouned kinda rattly.

Btw what have I done saying clunky. Remember, only been on a 125 and a cbf500 before this. For all i know its just normal and I'm a softy that has been used to cars. Strangely, after all these years, my dad has also taken his direct access over the last couple of months and has his test in a few weeks with a vfr800 waiting for him when he passes, i wonder if that will be as clunky?

Anyway, raspy metalic rattle almost, only when off the throttle and moving.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Does anybody know if Ztollys bike has an air injection system, and could something with that or part of it being broken cause the rattling sound when off throttle?

·
Registered
14 Posts
You know, I have a sound that sounds very similar to ztolleys.
It's very noticable when I'm riding on a freeway next to concrete median barriers (so the sound reflects back to me). Sounds like a loose nut, a weird rattling, only within a certain RPM range and only audible with no throttle.
I asked my dealer to look at it but they never heard it.
A loose or missing nut would definitely fit the bill, I'll see if I can find that oil cooler link...
It's pretty tricky to trace as you can only hear it while moving and decelerating, not good conditions for troubleshooting unless I can figure out a way to ride with a stethoscope!
Jon

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
You can if you ride very hard and are on a bumpy road;

Bottom out the rear and cause the centre stand to take a wack the stand has a bumper stop on the exhaust tail just before the can connects.

If you hit it hard enough you can cause the exhaust pipe to go slightly out of line with the exhaust can sleeve connection which can cause a vibration and noise from 5000rpm upwards.

It can be easily fixed because the exhaust can mount is adjustable.

That is a possible cause but you would have to be tramping along fast on a bumpy road with lots of bends.........................

not that I would ever do that.:rolleyes:

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
If you definitely think it's from the motah, and as you state, you hear it on the over-run ( no load or light load on engine) could be a loose/worn camchain /lazy tensioner.......how many miles on her???

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took it to my tame mechanic who had a ride and he can't see anything wrong with it, and said he didn't hear anything out of the norm. I trust him well enough that if there was something wrong he'd hear it or feel it straight away so I'll do my first longish trip just after xmas.

London, Anglesey (North Wales), Manchester, Newastle and back to London again. Looking forward to the road through the Welsh mountains now.

And I've persuaded the wife how nice the bonneville look so might try one of them soon.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
If you are doing Manchester, then you COULD take the A57 'Snake Pass' over the top to Sheffield, then up through North Yorkshire> Barnard castle /County Durham roads to Newcastle, much more twisty and scenic than the (boring) A1..................

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Watch out, the Bonneville's put an enchantment on you....... then haunt you in your sleep. There is something very addictive about them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts