Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I’ll tell you what, J.D........ and she’s doing all she can to help me minimize future episodes. I personally think that should be rewarded, and not with a "bugger off.”

Pete
Then do what she says and stop complaining about her nagging at you for ridding!

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Then do what she says and stop complaining about her nagging at you for ridding!
Complaining? That might be what you read, but it's not what I wrote.

Sort of sums it up. Interesting discussion, but I’m still trying to get clear what the purpose was.
Heh.. How many threads in this Biker Hang-out forum actually have a purpose? But if having a purpose will make things better, mine was entertainment. That, and the chance that it might generate some dialog about how other riders are dealing with (or preventing) the consequences of sun exposure.

Pete

·
Registered
535 Posts
I feel your pain my good sir. I too have what you speak of. I’ve had the stern conversation while Mellon balling my arms , head and leg. I always wore a shirt all these years since I turn pink like a pig. I have on multiple occasions had the nuclear cream to apply on face and arms for 30 days. Hurt like stank and looked like a lepper with skin falling off. I now wear spf sleeves anytime in the sun. When I ride I cover my neck with a big bandanna or I cut the short sleeve off a shirt and pull it over my nugget to cover the neck. The smell of the burning flesh of the electro wire thingy and the sizzle sound is odd. For all of you that for sure makes a woman very pissed at every appointment. +1 on the alveeno.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Two things I did today. Ride the bike, and mow the lawn. Which activity do you think had more skin exposure? Here is a hint. I wore shorts and a short sleeved shirt for the lawn mowing. I am thinking the dermatologist lady would be mad at me for mowing the lawn.

UK

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I’ll tell you what, J.D.: ‘Tween me and my insurance company weve paid her a significant amount of money over the years to cut stuff out of my skin, and she’s doing all she can to help me minimize future episodes. I personally think that should be rewarded, and not with a "bugger off.”

I won’t be selling the motorcycle, though.

Pete
So, she got paid, you got fixed. Paid for services rendered. Just like the plumber, auto mechanic, or barber in my book. Doctors want to be part of the family. That is why I have a bit of an attitude about them. What are you or your doctor complaining about ? ...J.D.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I’m not complaining about it, the forum popped up and I chimed in with my story. The skin issues will never ever go away. It’s a yearly appointment with something being cut out, lanced or cream applying. I take some humor with it but until you have had the worst sun burn ever, multiply that by 10 for a month plus 24-7 while your skin falls off your face or arms. This is something that can and does take a life just so you know. Cover that skin especially European pasty folk. I’m Irish so it don’t get any cellophane then that. PGR there are UV sleeves you can wear which is easier than oily stuff. EBay sells them for $10-15 a pair.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Perhaps you could explain to her that while you sincerely appreciate her concern and professional input, you are a big boy and perfectly qualified to weigh risks and benefits and make decisions regarding YOUR own health. I've had that conversation with my doc regarding statins.

It's what we do every time we get on a motorcycle.

Just sayin'.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Complaining? That might be what you read, but it's not what I wrote.

Heh.. How many threads in this Biker Hang-out forum actually have a purpose? But if having a purpose will make things better, mine was entertainment. That, and the chance that it might generate some dialog about how other riders are dealing with (or preventing) the consequences of sun exposure.

Pete
Pete, I wasnt raggin on ya, I'm pretty blunt so my response was more of the "doc says to do this but you do that" and you have the choice to either do everything she tells you to do or not, or f&*^ it and do what you feel is best.
When I was young and working on the farm I'd stop wearing a shirt about mid April until late Sept, I'd get pretty dark, my hair (back when I had some) was blond and would get bleached out and I'd wear it long, living near an Indian settlement I'd be refereed to as an albino Indian by some of my friends, I fear that that life style will lead me to a close encounter with melanoma at some time, cant do anything about it now, damage is done and I dont ever(or at least very seldom) ride without plenty of sunscreen and plenty of protective clothing. Its hard to give up everything that you enjoy no mater how bad it is for ya.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
You guys actually go to the doctors?
I used to be that guy who wouldn't see a doctor unless I had a gaping flesh wound, but time has changed things a little. Ok, it's changed things a lot! Now I have a regular physician, a urologist, a dermatologist, a cardiologist, and an oncologist.

Sheesh! This growing old stuff isn't for sissies.

Pete

·
Registered
535 Posts
I see a few Dr.s for both the skin issue and ortho for suspension work( shoulder, knees and back). Wear and tear and stupidity of “ that wont happen to me”. For the Dermatologist you all should see one just as a precaution since we are getting more miles on us. Need the occasional tune up and new tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 55 of 55 Posts