Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple hundred kms into running my engine in, a rapid ticking noise started up when the bike was warm. It's only fairly quiet - my pillion can't hear it at all, but I can still hear it over my noisy pipes.

When I took the beast in for its first service, the guy from the triumph dealership assured me it was a loose exhaust manifold, and that it had been fixed during the service. He was wrong on both counts - halfway home the noise started up again.

I took it back again a few days later, only to be told it's either the timing chain (and should go quiet once the chain loosens up enough to click onto its next setting), or it's a "shim" I think the word was. I was assured that "Rockets make all sorts of noises" and that it wasn't a serious enough problem to be fixed under the extended warranty I spent a grand on.

Now, I'm a rider, not a fixer, so I have no idea what the timing chain even does, let alone whether it should or might be making such a noise. I've never even heard of a "shim" before, so I was hoping that you knowledgeable gents here could shed some light on what the problem could be, and how I might go about fixing it. The noise is driving me bat*****.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The "shim" your dealer is referring to is part of the valvetrain. The shims fits on top of the valve stem in a bucket, which keeps the shim in it's place. The shim is used to adjust the clearence between the top of the valve and the camshaft lobe. Shims of different thickness are used to adjust the clearence. If the clearence is too great, you get a ticking noise. It sounds a lot like a loose pushrod in a pushrod equipped motor. If the clearence is too tight, the valve can be held slighty open causeing backfires or a burnt valve. Shims have been in use since the early days of Honda. Any overhead cam motorcycle engine that does not use pushrods (except Ducati) used a shim and bucket design. They seem to set the Rockets up with a ton of clearence from the factory when they build the engines. Mine ticked and rattled for a thousand or so miles till it seated in, then the engine got a better. If it really bothers you, have the dealer check and adjust the valve clearences under warranty. Bigern

·
Banned
139 Posts
I agree with bigern. These motors are very noisy when new.600 miles and synthetic oil will quiet it down.Just run the ***** out of it.If there is something wrong u want it to show up now. :wink:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, awesome - thanks heaps guys :-D Well, at least I now know what a shim is, and that it's a normal-ish sound that should go away.

Cheers! That's a load off my mind...

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've got to correct myself on some information i posted. There are also overhead cam engines that use an adjusting screw that adjust thru the center of the rocker arm to maintain correct valve clearence also. Duh! Bigern

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
mine was noisy when new.much quieter after 1500 miles.why did you have to pay for a guarantee when it already has 2 years unlimited guarantee from triumph? :???:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts