Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey Haggis! I absolutely agree with you! Always bugs me when someone writes or says drive when referring to riding their bike...oh and "differentiate" is much too serious a word for riders...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Here in these fair antipodes we say "ride a bike" and "drive a car".
I think it's largely an American thing to refer to "driving a bike" isn't it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I totally disagree.....

My wife is never wrong. You do drive a bike and I can prove it. She reckons I spend so much time fiddling with the bike that it DRIVES her mad.

Not once has she said it rides her mad.

Point proven.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I like the sound of "drive." I use either word to describe operating a motorcycle, but the word "ride" is the more passive. You ride the bus, you ride in a 747, you ride a Ferris Wheel, but the person who drives is in control no matter what kind of machine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I like the sound of "drive." I use either word to describe operating a motorcycle, but the word "ride" is the more passive. You ride the bus, you ride in a 747, you ride a Ferris Wheel, but the person who drives is in control no matter what kind of machine.
+1 Couldn't say it better if I wanted.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well I'm going to reserve driving to my 4-wheeler thanks. In the meantime...Live to Drive and Drive to Live! Drive on! Drive hard and Drive safe! Oh and their ain't nothin' passive about the way I ride friend!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well stated my friend...and backed by the super-intelligence of Thunder Rat's wife! :Chopper

·
Registered
113 Posts
you don't ride on a car, anything i sit on not in you ride, i ride my riding tractor wheeler bike sled,i drive my van and car,it just shows who is an actual rider and just a guy who has a bike .

·
Registered
271 Posts
To each his own, said the farmer, as he kissed the cow. What do you expect from a country's language, where you PARK on the DRIVEWAY and you DRIVE on the PARKWAY? Using that kind of logic, then your driver's license for a motorcycle should be called a RIDER'S LICENSE, but it isn't. Sometimes, you don't even get a special license, you get an ENDORSEMENT. I wonder if ENDORSEMENTS actually help get someone elected. It DOES, however, let motorcyclists DRIVE or RIDE on public roads. Some say TOMATO, some say TOWMATTO. Your mileage may vary, depending on whether your blood pressure rises because of the imperfect speech of others, or not. And of course, YOU with the perfect lip (and vocabulary), blew out the candle.

·
Registered
175 Posts
To each his own, said the farmer, as he kissed the cow. What do you expect from a country's language, where you PARK on the DRIVEWAY and you DRIVE on the PARKWAY? Using that kind of logic, then your driver's license for a motorcycle should be called a RIDER'S LICENSE, but it isn't. Sometimes, you don't even get a special license, you get an ENDORSEMENT. I wonder if ENDORSEMENTS actually help get someone elected. It DOES, however, let motorcyclists DRIVE or RIDE on public roads. Some say TOMATO, some say TOWMATTO. Your mileage may vary, depending on whether your blood pressure rises because of the imperfect speech of others, or not. And of course, YOU with the perfect lip (and vocabulary), blew out the candle.
Well said!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've heard someone (think it was from Europe) refer to the operator as the pilot of a motorcycle, and the passenger as the pillion. I've come to like those terms.

Besides, 'piloting' a motorcycle seems to get the feel more than 'driving' and its a bit more active than 'riding'. Pardon me while I go make more jet engines noises inside my helmet as I take this corner... :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts