Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
A well-written article, but I think he missed one salient point: morons don't know they're morons and don't care. Try this test sometime: In any social setting, bring up cell phones and driving. The same response occurs every time. What idiots they are, those who drive and blab into a cellphone. Almost everyone knows that THEY can drive and talk or drive and text safely, but boy, none of those other idiots can and the cops should do something about it. It's a paradox that people don't realize how poorly they're driving because they aren't paying attention to their driving to begin with.

Sad Truths:
1) You're not going to educate anyone into looking for motorcycles. They aren't paying attention to the road to begin with. "All that Look-Twice-Save-A-Life stuff is for everyone else, I'm a GOOD driver."

2) It's up to YOU, the guy on the bike to watch out for THEM, because they aren't watching at all and there's not a damn thing you can do to make them look. It's not right and it's not fair. It's reality.

End of personal rant, thanks for your kind attention.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Read it all and it makes a lot of sense.

Interesting about the lack of gear. In New England this past week I probably saw hundreds of bikers of which about 99% wore no helmet and about 50% had no gear on. Doesn't matter to me though,..it's their lives,...but most people stared at me like I had 3 heads with my helmet, Tourmaster yellow textile jacket and over pants, boots and gloves

I have often wondered why some cagers have a healthy hatred for motorcyclists and have concluded that they are mad at themselves and their lives and need an excuse to vent,...much easier than doing the work introspectively.

Unfortunately it is our responsibility to be responsible for others since they can't be for themselves. But then that is the rule to staying alive on a bike.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Thanks for the link. I like his tone although the cagers don't.
I have recently attached Letraset lettering to the backs of my helmets reading: "TEXTING KILLS".

Futile? Perhaps. But I recall seeing the bumper sticker "Start SEEING Motorcyclists" before I owned a motorcycle and it always stayed with me.

Still I realize that, just like wearing a white helmet, hi-viz clothing, adding driving lights, or brake flashers, it doesn't amount to anything if they aren't looking.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Excellent link, cheers for that Arkwright old chap.

Today, i did a 100+ mile ride with my mate, he was on his BMW R1200GS and i was on the trusty Thruxton.
We had a spin up to the Pondarosa, a popular biker cafe, at the top of the Horseshoe pass, just outside of Llangollen, in a brilliant part of North Wales, with some amazing twisties.

The first problem arose for me, going through the Pen y clip tunnel on the A55 coast road, which i use quite often.
It's a dual carraigeway, two lanes of vehicles, going in the same direction through the tunnel.
My mate was a bit in front, on the overtaking lane and had just passed a black Renault Clio, a popular little hatchback that many young new drivers tend to buy as their first vehicle, mostly orange coloured females, with a couple of girlfriends of the same hue accompanying them.

Just as i get level with the car, it starts to wander into my lane, pushing me towards the barrier, i decide in a millisecond to whack the throttle open and get out of her way as fast as possible, rather than brake and possibly end up with a vehicle up my backside.
As i speed off, i glance quickly at the girl driver and see she's staring at her mobile phone, reading a text maybe?

I looked back in my offside mirror and spot sparks coming off the barrier, yep she drifted across two lanes, nearly pinned me to the barrier and probably did some decent damage to her car.
I didn't hang about to see the result, i'm on a Sunday ride-out and i'm not in a good samaritan type of mood after that, i hope she and her friends weren't injured but i do hope she wrecked her nice black Clio and the police attended, maybe she just scraped it and got away without too much damage, i hope not though, she needs to learn that a car can be just as lethal as a loaded gun.

That incident happened at about 14 miles into the journey.
The rest of it wasn't as exciting but i did come across the usual suspects, which we are all aware of most days, although today was Sunday, we get more than the usual amout of dip-****s on a Sunday.
And the runners up today were...in no particular order...!

1. The non use of indicators, my pet hate, dangerous, ignorant, tw*ts!

2. The idiot who drives like a stunned slug through the twisties, holding everyone up and causing the following vehicles to brake.
The idiot then comes to a straight piece of road and nails his car, so then you have to hammer the bike to get past him, before the vehicle coming in the opposite direction gets too close, knob!

3. The car in the nearside lane, approaching a roundabout, decides to go past the first turnoff on the left, like he's supposed to do, then carries on past the second turnoff, the one i want to turn into, effectively cutting me up and risking me having someone run up my chuff, so i just go round again and turn off the next time.

4. And lots of other exciting near-death experiences...but the best one happens less than 100 yards from home.
I'm following a white Ford Transit van up the slight incline on my road, when he stops in the middle of the road and then starts to reverse into a driveway.
Fortunately, there are no other vehicles behind me, so i reverse back, otherwise he'll flatten me.
My horn sounds like a strangled duck, i can hardly hear it, so he's no chance.
I did expect him to maybe hear the mighty roar from the TORS but nope, obviously not, because he's still reversing.

I'm now far enough back, so i'm safe, he then looks out of his FULLY open drivers window and gives me a look of "where did you pop up from?".
I had the black visor down, so he never saw the word "Wanker" escape from my lips, i just toddled off home and thought...thank god i'm home safe!

G ; ) :D.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Read it all and it makes a lot of sense.

Interesting about the lack of gear. In New England this past week I probably saw hundreds of bikers of which about 99% wore no helmet and about 50% had no gear on. Doesn't matter to me though,..it's their lives,...Snip
It should matter to you since it has an effect on your insurance rates.

I've been nearly killed at least five times over the past three years by women on their cell phones driving their luxury SUVs to and from the mall.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
It should matter to you since it has an effect on your insurance rates.
It's hard to say. In Canada there is a healthy amount of collusion with car insurance. I can get 10 quotes and guarantee they will all be within $100 of each other.

Bike insurance is a bit different. In my experience they tend to look at the individual biker, time on a bike (years riding experience), age(of rider and bike) and model of bike.

As a new rider last year, I had quotes from $900 to $2200 from about 5 different companies for one year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts