Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to join Haggis and a whole lot of other members in the intermittent spark issue. Had to have it towed yesterday for the first time in 43,000 miles.
It runs and it stalls. Then it doesn't start. Then later, it starts again. Never seems like it's starved for gas. Just cuts out with the dash lights still on and the starter working.

Just because it's easy, I replaced my Nology coil with the original stock coil which I know to be good.
New spark plugs, properly gapped, because it was time anyway.

It's not the safety interlocks (clutch, kickstand) because the starter cranks like crazy and I also have a new battery.
It ran like a scalded cat today after all these changes for 3 times around the block and then quit in front of my driveway. (I love this bike for that). It quit at idle and would not start.

Took off the seat later and banged on the ICU while cranking and it started and ran well for about 30 seconds. Again, a sudden stall. Later ICU banging would not revive it.
I'm thinking ICU. Unless it was a coincidence and it's something else. This came out of the blue with no stumbling or warning.

:Anyone

2008 Carb'd (US) Bonneville

·
Registered
741 Posts
Well, you already replaced just about every thing else in the system. So, the only advice I can offer is to try re-seating the connector to the ICU. (A bad connection to the ICU was my problem once.) Like you said, it's not the safety interlocks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sounds to me like the pick-up coil (the one next to the alternator) Have had two fail, one on mine & one on the missus' bonnie. Runs fine cold, but as it warms up, bike dies. Leave it half an hour to cool down, and will run again. When I replaced the p/u coil, I checked new & old in a pan of water on the stove, with an ohm meter across each. As the water got hotter, the old one suddenly went open circuit. As the water cooled, it came back. If you can carry a meter with you, you can check if it is open circuit when the bike dies, but it can be a pain getting at the connector, jammed into the frame under the back of the tank. The wires (to the pick up) are very thin, so don't pull hard on these! Get the connector in an easily accessible position before going out on the bike.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Try pressing on the igniter whilst starting the bike. I have 2 Thruxtons and both have had igniter issues

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sounds identical to the issue I had, replaced the pickup coil and all was well!

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies. I'm going to try a new pickup coil. I've been told that at 43000 miles it's time for a new one anyway.
I have reseated the ICU plug and I really hope it's not that or the ignitor. $$$

I run the sixty-8 Contemporary seat and it's not bearing down on the ICU. Tested it with a wad of chewed gum - no marks.
Only seems to happen after it gets warmed up so I'm ordering a pickup coil. I'll post on the outcome when it's in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
please keep us posted im haveing the same problem with a 2003 speedmaster starts but then cuts out as soon as i move away i have also checked all the usuals side stand clutch and then onto fuel and breathers but to no avail have you priced a pickup coil?

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SOLVED.
It was the pick up coil. Thanks to my friends at South Bay Motorcycle Co. for getting it sorted. The part was somewhere around 100 bones. I don't have the bill here with me.
Anyone with a Bonnie with over 40,000 might want to consider replacing this part as a precaution. It will strand you if you wait too long.
The Crow is running better than ever now.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts