Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Bonneville America
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This message was posted as an update to my original thread which explains my circumstances in greater detail having replaced most of my ignition system after an engine failure on my maiden voyage. Read it for yourself here:

[ Since replacing my spark plugs, S.P. leads, both coils and pick-up coil with the Blue Flame Performance components from TriumphTwinPower.com]...

I have since put about 800 miles on the America with absolutely no problems (until today). I still have not replaced the igniter with the Blue Flame Performance replacement I purchased. Lately, with the warm weather and fuel prices I have been commuting to work and back on the bike, which is 48 miles one way. However, today on my way home I was caught off-guard by an absolutely ferocious downpour about 10 miles from my house (funny, the weather man said nothing but sunshine and blue skies all week!) I noticed the approaching storm about 30 minutes before I was caught in the unrelenting downpour and was giving it absolutely full throttle attempting to outrun the storm and reach the safety of my garage before I got wet. Like I said, about 10 miles from my house I got caught in the rain. I slowed the bike down not wanting to lose control or traction on the suddenly wet pavement. The bike continued to run just fine in the rain for about half a mile, then the engine suddenly cut out again. Despite my best efforts, along with my newly acquired knowledge of the ins and outs of the ignition system, I was unable to get the bike started. So there I sat, on the side of the road watching the thunderstorm and lightning roll over me. No cover of any kind, way out in the country soaked to the bone. I eventually was able to flag someone down and he helped me arrange a tow truck to get the bike home. About 3 hours later when the bike made it to my garage the engine still refused to fire. I have not had the time yet to diagnose the problem but thought I would inquire about the bike getting wet. I know it's not a good idea to pressure wash a motorcycle, especially while the engine is still warm, but surely riding through some wet weather should not completely disable the bike? Or perhaps I am just having a spat of poor luck. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. I figure I will retest the pick-up coil and ignition coils to ensure they are still operational. Then perhaps it is time to install the new ICM. hopefully, that fixes my problem...

·
Premium Member
749 Posts
Bummer.

You say that in torrential rain the bike cut out suddenly after a ½ mile or so...

One thing that can happen is that rainwater (amazingly) backs up the fuel tank overflow pipe (that runs from the underside of the tank and exits by the left foot peg IIRC...), blocking the roll-over valve thus stopping air getting into the tank which creates a vacuum that stops fuel flowing into the carbs....

This happened to me on several occasions during torrential rain in my first summer (!) of ownership and was a a nightmare to diagnose - but the sudden in-rush of air into the tank when I opened the cap to check if I'd actually run out of petrol was the giveaway....

Fortunately the solution is simple: cut the exit of the overflow pipe at a 45⁰ angle so the "open" face is pointing towards the rear of the bike...

...or it could just be water in the ignition switch.

Tim

~'05 Thruxton~Sport Evolution 1100cc~FCR 39mm~813 cams~+1.5mm valves~oil-in-frame cooling~Ignitech CDI~m-Unit~Acewell CA85~F3 Frankenfork~Hagon Nitros~6-piston Pretech~520 chain~wide 17" rims~tubeless conversion~Michelin Road 5~

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I had this starting promblam but not from rain ,the ball in the roll over valve on the vent pipe got stuck. I through away the valve and run a new hose cutting the end on the 45deg angle facing the rear, as said just pull the vent pipe from the tank right side about half way along the tank if it starts that's the fault

1 - 3 of 3 Posts