Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I avoid riding in rainstorms as a rule, but last night I got caught under a cloudburst less than a mile from home. Darkened twilight stormy sky. No chance for raingear. I was soaked instantly, and worst of all, my visor, while not at all fogged (scorpion exo-700) was splattered with rain so badly visibility was tough (about like driving the car in a storm with no wipers). Wiping with my glove did pretty much nothing. And the Sprints stock windscreen drives even more rain towards my helmet...

At the last left turn into my neighborhood, I'm waiting in traffic to turn and spot a gap in the oncoming headlights and make my move....but it's not a gap, there's a little red car with no headlights that I spot just as I start crossing the oncoming lane. GAH! Goose the throttle and got through with some room to spare but that was a hell of a lesson. Not every cage has the sense to run headlights in rain and I should have checked better somehow.

Gonna try Rain-X, but I could use some advice here, otherwise I'm gonna do my best to sit out future storms.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Do NOT put Rain-X on a Scorpion Shield. YOU WILL RUIN IT.

I know this for a FACT. I've done it.

I have found that Scorpion helmets are notorious for having a lousy seal around the face shield. In heavy rain, water gets on the inside of the shield.
I have problems with that on the 400's I own, and have noticed it on every Scorpion I have looked at in the store. Maybe the new 2000's have it straightened out, I don't know.

But if you can't see, you can't ride. Pull over and do whatever it takes to clear your visor, or wait out the storm. Sorry, it's better than having something bad happen.

Glad you're OK

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Plexus is rated to be safe on plastics. Was thinking I should have cleaned my shield with that stuff. Rode in heavy mist this morning, so while my shield doesn't fog (pinlock) the front of it was misty like all heck. Plexus would have (hopefully) caused the water to just run off.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's one of those things that does get easier with practice or getting used to it, especially coping with the glare from headlights, it will be worse if you avoid riding in the rain (unless you know you never have to!)
The visor is a bummer, only thing I use is a wiper like gadget on my left hand, not brill but better than back of glove and keep visor scratch free. Old visor, rain and dark F****** disaster.
Good luck Mick

·
Registered
632 Posts
I use a product called "Z-wax" you can get it at;
www.zooke.com
I don't give it 5 stars but it is okay.

·
Registered
744 Posts
i have found that as long as your moving, if you turn your head from side to side, the rain will blow off your faceshield. keep looking foreward tho. I dont know why it dosnt blow off streight foreward.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Plexus is rated to be safe on plastics. Was thinking I should have cleaned my shield with that stuff. Rode in heavy mist this morning, so while my shield doesn't fog (pinlock) the front of it was misty like all heck. Plexus would have (hopefully) caused the water to just run off.
It does, and it doesn't. I've changed to Plexus a few years ago. I don't think it helps that much though. I have used a trick for more years than I care to admit, for lower fairing bikes. If riding at speed, and you have the safety zone to do this in. Turn your head about a little past 1/4 turn. The wind pressure changes and the water accumulation on that side of the face shield should clear. Do this in both directions. Held gloves have come with a squeegee on the left pointer finger for many years. I miss that on my Teknics. I guess I've gotten used to looking through rain dappled face shields over the years. I hardly notice it anymore. I do invest in a good Pinlock, or Fog City insert, though to avoid internal fogging.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Ditto, and ix-nay, on the Rain-X. I went to a bike race once and asked an Arai rep in attendance about Rain-X on a helmet face shield. I thought it might be a great idea since it worked on my car so well.

He said, "No....and hell no!" It'll eat it up.

·
Banned
65 Posts
Seems like I've had rain most every day this summer going home from work. I recently changed brom Plexxus to Pledge. I've used both and plain old lemon scent Pledge works better than anything else I've tried for keeping a clear field of vision on the visor. I agree with turning your head a bit further to sweep the rain off more.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
+1 on the Zooke products. I'm partial to the 'spray' bottle over the balm.

Also, I find the 'squee-gees' very useful. Find them at Aerostich. They sell a three-pack that has three sizes. The idea is that you can put one on your index finger, or your thumb, or over a winter glove digit.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I avoid riding in rainstorms as a rule, but last night I got caught under a cloudburst less than a mile from home. Darkened twilight stormy sky. No chance for raingear. I was soaked instantly, and worst of all, my visor, while not at all fogged (scorpion exo-700) was splattered with rain so badly visibility was tough (about like driving the car in a storm with no wipers). Wiping with my glove did pretty much nothing. And the Sprints stock windscreen drives even more rain towards my helmet...

At the last left turn into my neighborhood, I'm waiting in traffic to turn and spot a gap in the oncoming headlights and make my move....but it's not a gap, there's a little red car with no headlights that I spot just as I start crossing the oncoming lane. GAH! Goose the throttle and got through with some room to spare but that was a hell of a lesson. Not every cage has the sense to run headlights in rain and I should have checked better somehow.

Gonna try Rain-X, but I could use some advice here, otherwise I'm gonna do my best to sit out future storms.
After spending the greater part of 25 years in the UK and touring the continent I can tell you NOT to avoid riding in the rain. You have to constantly hone your skills and wet weather riding is one of them. Braking and cornering is different with highly reduced traction.
A trick I have used in downpours is to turn your head from one side to the other never taking you eyes off the road ahead but let the wind clear your visor for a moment.
There are also certain gloves that have a suede or deer skin cover on one of the fingers to clear it for a bit.

·
Registered
148 Posts
After spending the greater part of 25 years in the UK and touring the continent I can tell you NOT to avoid riding in the rain. You have to constantly hone your skills and wet weather riding is one of them. Braking and cornering is different with highly reduced traction.
A trick I have used in downpours is to turn your head from one side to the other never taking you eyes off the road ahead but let the wind clear your visor for a moment.
There are also certain gloves that have a suede or deer skin cover on one of the fingers to clear it for a bit.
+1 on honing the rain skills. Worst thing is to get caught out in the rain with little experience in the rain. When I lived in Florida I rode to work almost every day and all summer long you have a 75% chance or so of getting caught in a pop up storm.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My shark helmet doesn't tend to fog on the inside. Heavy rain is ok as it's pretty easy to move the big drops by turning the head but, light misty rain or light splash from the road is a pain. It just sticks. I'd love to find some product which will help mist and light drops roll off.

I also keep half an old sports sock tucked behind the windscreen to give it a wipe when stopped at lights. Might try a small microfiber cloth.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I vouch for turning your head slightly each way for a moment. Works like a charm. You don't have to look the other way, but just turn enough for the air to catch the droplets and away they go.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Rather than sitting upright when it's raining, if you lay down on the tank the windscreen will blow the water right off your visor giving you remarkably clear vision.
That is what it was designed for, plus you'll pick up 5 mph in speed. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lemon pledge and turning your head side to side is what has been helpful to me. I tried plexus and the results weren't as good as I would have liked.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Turning your head side to side certainly has its place, whether you use something on your helmet or not. If you are going to use something on your helmet, be sure to test it on a non-critical part of the shield or, preferably, on an old shield. I wore Nolans for a long time and used Rain-X on them for years with no problems. I switched to a Joe Rocket-branded HJC and had a problem immediately, despite HJC officially saying it should be fine with their visors. Yes, it was most likely user error as no permanent damage was done, but it certainly opened my eyes as to just how far wrong a bad coating on your shield can go!

Got caught in heavy rain in rush hour traffic one day last week and that just sucked. 60-70MPH with near zero visibility. Rain-x wouldn't have helped; it was just coming down too hard. (I was rather impressed with the anti-fog coating on my Bell shield, though: it fogged up after a couple of minutes with the shield down, but then it actually unfogged really quickly when I cracked it, even in the pouring rain.)

Oh, and as far as riding and cornering when there's no traction to be had: learn to hang your ass off the seat. You can do a lot of turning with very little input to the handlebars and very little lean angle.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
I agree with turning the head from side to side. Rain doesn't worry me to much you get used to it in the tropics. What really sucks is when it has stopped raining and the road is half dry and you get the mucky spray from cars and trucks which makes it very hard to keep your visor clean.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts