Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed with my 2005 rocket III that after the bike warms up at the lower part of the radiator it starts to smoke a little but there are no leaks coming out on the ground etc does this mean my radiator is bad? its on the radiator itself not underneath it

·
Registered
648 Posts
Smoke (steam) is an indication it's leaking coolant. You should be able to smell it too. Check the threaded inserts that attach the shroud and mounts. I had one pop out on my '07. Triumph replaced the radiator under warranty. Good thing 'cause it was $589.00 :eek:

·
Banned
557 Posts
Best guess - condensation collected on the radiator and when heated burns off. I assume this happens at first start up and doesn't reoccur later. Fluids are topped off, tight cap, no leaks on the floor - right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
re radiator

you can smell the antifreeze smell so there must be a leak is it better to just get another one or to get it repaired?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Smoke (steam) is an indication it's leaking coolant. You should be able to smell it too. Check the threaded inserts that attach the shroud and mounts. I had one pop out on my '07. Triumph replaced the radiator under warranty. Good thing 'cause it was $589.00 :eek:
ill check that I can definitly smell the antifreeze smell bike isnt uner warrenty so i may have to just bite the bullet and replace the radiator.
is it hard to replace? ive replaced car radiators

·
Registered
648 Posts
ill check that I can definitly smell the antifreeze smell bike isnt uner warrenty so i may have to just bite the bullet and replace the radiator.
is it hard to replace? ive replaced car radiators
Because mine is under warranty I let them do everything, including picking the bike up and hauling it into their shop. I'd just try some radiator stop leak first since you are out of warranty. I once had a car I uses stop leak on the rad. and it worked for several years. Removing and replacing the radiator can't be very difficult. Make sure you remove the tiny screw in the cap before attempting to remove the cap.

·
Registered
855 Posts
The radiator is pretty easy to remove.

I would take the radiator to a local repair shop and see with they can do before you dump any barrs leaks etc into the coolant system.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Repair or replace the radiator..I have never had success with stop leak/bars leak,etc..It only pluggeed up the water jets in the engine causing valve issues and hot spots..$600 at the max will be cheap compared to a rebuild..also your dealer may be able to get Triumph to warranty the Radiator unless you dropped it and caused damage.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Not all radiator stop leaks are equal.
Some work much better than others and aren't thick like they all used to be.
A new rad. is prefered but not everyone is prepared to shell out $600.00, especially in this poor economy and at Christmas time...

·
Registered
876 Posts
I agree with Pig9r about not putting any stop leak in the radiator if you think it can be fixed. The radiator is right there in the open. It's not hard to remove, and a competent radiator shop should be able to fix it.

IF.. you are in bind, though, and you don't intend to fix that radiator.. Oat Meal will seal a radiator leak..:)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Maybe try to take to a radiator shop and have them pressure test on the bike first?? If it's got a leak, the pressure tester will show it. And they might be able to tell you if they think they can repair it too when they see where it is leaking from. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
690 Posts
You could just wait on Sam to finish his new radiator design and get a new model, that looks WAY better. Thats what I'm gonna do.

·
Registered
690 Posts
ok.
First off, I don't have any vested interest in anything he does.
Secondly, I'm not trying to weasel ANY free advertising for anybody period.
Third, I've never had the pleasure of meeting him, but Have ordered one, and as soon as I get it, I'll post pics.
I'd love to tell you guys all about it, but I don't want to step on any toes here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts