Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my 2021 Tiger 900 GT today and took it for a ride. A few minutes in, my knees and thighs started getting hot. Come to realize the heat is coming from the radiators. Seems like a design flaw to me and I'm pretty disappointed by it. Doesn't look like there's anything that can be done.

·
Registered
2010 Tbird 1600 2018 Tiger 1200 XRT
540 Posts
I got a 2018 Tiger 1200 in February, and you want to talk about hot!!!! The heat coming off the left side is really bad, I read about it in forums but too late and for awhile it was great, was using the heated grips and heated seat, but took a long ride on Sunday in 85 degree heat and there were times that it was so hot I literally had to put my leg forward into the wind and let it cool...soooo unhappy About that. But someone posted that altering the height of the windscreen changes the airflow down there and they are right, with the windscreen in the lowest position because I wanted max airflow on my my leg was hottest, move the windscreen to the highest setting (electric thumb toggle on my bike) and the heat on the leg isn't nearly as bad, I would say at least try a different windscreen position...we can't color air and see what makes it flow and stall, but I think that is part of it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a 2018 Tiger 1200 in February, and you want to talk about hot!!!! The heat coming off the left side is really bad, I read about it in forums but too late and for awhile it was great, was using the heated grips and heated seat, but took a long ride on Sunday in 85 degree heat and there were times that it was so hot I literally had to put my leg forward into the wind and let it cool...soooo unhappy About that. But someone posted that altering the height of the windscreen changes the airflow down there and they are right, with the windscreen in the lowest position because I wanted max airflow on my my leg was hottest, move the windscreen to the highest setting (electric thumb toggle on my bike) and the heat on the leg isn't nearly as bad, I would say at least try a different windscreen position...we can't color air and see what makes it flow and stall, but I think that is part of it.
Interesting. The windscreen was actually in the lowest position. I'll raise it up and see if that helps. Still wondering if some sort of baffle or deflector would help. Or even a couple small DC fans positioned so they direct the heat upward over the leg. I'll be installing some lowering pegs too, which should yield a slight improvement.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Adjusting the windscreen didn't help. I haven't noticed the radiator fans turning on. I wonder if they would help the issue. I could hard wire them temporarily to see, and if it makes a significant difference perhaps trick the ECU into turning them on sooner by installing a resistor in series/parallel with the temp sensor. Or just wire the fan relay to the ignition so they come on whenever the bike is on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This always happens to me. I research the hell out of a car or motorcycle then realize after my purchase that there's some major flaw. It's too late now. This is the bike I'll be riding for the near future, until a Honda CRF850L hopefully comes out.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not really much help but leather pants are good with keeping heat from actually reaching your legs.
Haha, yeah. That's not happening. I am however looking for a pair of riding pants with knee armor, which I'm sure will help.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
It couldn't hurt. I always wear leather pants but got lazy earlier this year and rode my Sprints in just jeans and boy, this thing puts out some heat, it's blowing it on my left leg...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It couldn't hurt. I always wear leather pants but got lazy earlier this year and rode my Sprints in just jeans and boy, this thing puts out some heat, it's blowing it on my left leg...
I've been wearing regular jeans because all the riding pants I like are out of stock. I'm betting some actual riding pants with knee armor or leather will mitigate the issue. And the heat will actually be nice in the cooler months!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Personally I feel the heat but so far it has not been a problem for me so far. But this will be the first summer with my 900. I live in Texas. So yeah… we will see!

There are engine air deflectors one can get, like so:

Or… make your own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Personally I feel the heat but so far it has not been a problem for me so far. But this will be the first summer with my 900. I live in Texas. So yeah… we will see!

There are engine air deflectors one can get, like so:

Or… make your own?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's in the upper 80s here and it is uncomfortable.

Those deflectors look promising. Are they available in the states though? If not, could probably make my own, or have them made.

·
Registered
60 Posts
It's in the upper 80s here and it is uncomfortable.

Those deflectors look promising. Are they available in the states though? If not, could probably make my own, or have them made.
I found them in the US here:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found them in the US here:

Sweet. Thanks. Did you put these on your bike? Did they make a significant difference?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sweet. Thanks. Did you put these on your bike? Did they make a significant difference?
I did not; so far I have not decided that I actually need this. I saw it as an option mentioned somewhere but as of now, I have not yet decided that I need this for myself. I felt the heat (especially on the left side) but as we are going into summer now and I live in TX, I guess I will know soon here haha...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is in the 80s here and it became evident that the heat was going to be too much after just a few minute ride. Guess I'll order a pair. Will post back with my impressions.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Adjusting the windscreen didn't help. I haven't noticed the radiator fans turning on. I wonder if they would help the issue. I could hard wire them temporarily to see, and if it makes a significant difference perhaps trick the ECU into turning them on sooner by installing a resistor in series/parallel with the temp sensor. Or just wire the fan relay to the ignition so they come on whenever the bike is on.
No need to trick the ECU, you can adjust the fan switch on temperature setting with Tuneecu if you want, but its still going to blow the hot air at your legs, redirecting it with the air deflectors sounds more promising.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No need to trick the ECU, you can adjust the fan switch on temperature setting with Tuneecu if you want, but its still going to blow the hot air at your legs, redirecting it with the air deflectors sounds more promising.
Yeah, I thought about that after posting. The Dan are just going to force more hot air. I ordered those deflectors and will use double sided tape initially to see if they work. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Yeah, I thought about that after posting. The Dan are just going to force more hot air. I ordered those deflectors and will use double sided tape initially to see if they work. Fingers crossed.
Or just move to the UK :p
You realise when you complain about the hot weather others aren't so lucky, although to be fair its been very nice this week for a change.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Just picked up my 2021 Tiger 900 GT today and took it for a ride. A few minutes in, my knees and thighs started getting hot. Come to realize the heat is coming from the radiators. Seems like a design flaw to me and I'm pretty disappointed by it. Doesn't look like there's anything that can be done.
I have the same bike and with temperatures in low 90s wearing jeans I feel no heat. I put the bike on cruise control and took my gloves off and put my hands on my knees. I could feel some warm air but certainly not hot.

Then again I am only 5'8 so my legs are a way from where the hot air exits those vents from the engine. Even riding in stop and go traffic the heat felt is a lot less than almost any bike I have had except my Royal Enfield 500.

I guess having short legs has a few benefits. 😄

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the same bike and with temperatures in low 90s wearing jeans I feel no heat. I put the bike on cruise control and took my gloves off and put my hands on my knees. I could feel some warm air but certainly not hot.

Then again I am only 5'8 so my legs are a way from where the hot air exits those vents from the engine. Even riding in stop and go traffic the heat felt is a lot less than almost any bike I have had except my Royal Enfield 500.

I guess having short legs has a few benefits. 😄
Well, it's rather toasty for me. I've tucked my legs back and can still feel it. I ordered some heat deflectors. Hopefully they'll do the trick.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts