Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not having much luck with this, I have burped my radiator and it runs really well, except now the radiator fan is not kicking in,
I assumed it was a problem with the plug to the harness but it checked ok with meter, i then unplugged it and checked it with two lines back to battery and I find it is hesitant, i mean it does not start, checked fuses, ok, nearly give up and give the fan a nudge and hey presto it works, then repeat ( ie unplug and replug) not working,

figured it was jammed or tight, removed it from radiator and bench test, it seems it jams in places and needs a bang etc to get it started, it also is variable in speed, sometimes very fast, some times medium.

The OEM replacement is $350!
Is there something I can do to sort this one out, there is I think no way into the internals on the fan,
cheers
Jim

Also anyone know of a non OEM replacement, even if its in the states its going to work out much cheaper

·
Registered
139 Posts
hmm, It is not rubbing on anything? The little nudge thing sounds bad to me. This all just started when you burped the radiator? You didn't unmount/remount the radiator did you?

Does it spin freely when it is off?

Might watch ebay and check the wreckers. I bet the fan is used across a bit of the triumph line. I would just get a 2nd hand one.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
HAHA
Sandy came through with a modified square fan, fantastic!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks Speed3, I saw these but I have no idea how to get the original blades off, or indeed of the casing.

I brought this fan ( attached) ideally I would like to remove its motor, and put into my casing, not modified.
SPAL say these fans are balanced and non openable but someone must of,

Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2 month old 09 plate S3 with only 1800 miles on the clock and the radiator fan packed up. Triumph dealer says it's a freak occurrence and have put a new one in under warranty. I just hope it's not a sign of things to come.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts