Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 Sprint ST. I've had it now for 6 months and 2000 miles. As it is everywhere right now, it's HOT out there on the road. With the heat, especially around town, the radiator fan of course comes on from time to time. When I pull in the driveway, most of the time the fan is on. But when I turn the bike off, the fan does NOT stay on. I know on a lot of bikes, the fan stays on until the bike cools a little. I tried to look at previous posts, but could not find an answer. On the '05-'09 Sprint ST's, is the radiator fan suppose to stay on or not after turning the bike off? Is this a huge problem.....probably not. But I just want to make sure there isn't something failing on my bike. Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Good question and observation.

Unlike some other bikes/cars/trucks, the Triumph fan powers off when the ignition switch is turned from the on position.

This is only applicable to the +05 models.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks OldND and DaveM! I forgot to mention, I had a 2001 Sprint ST(955), and that fan did stay on after I turned the engine off. But this '05 Sprint(1050), the fan turns off when I turn the engine off. This is a huge relief to know you guys say it's suppose to do that. Every day when I pull in the driveway, I am wondering if something is wrong with my bike. Now I can have piece of mind. That is always the problem when you buy used things. You never know what the original owner has done.

Thanks again guys!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Although that is the normal operation, I wish Triumph had not mapped it that way. Hard for me to understand the rationale.

The ECM manufacturer changed in 05, but that should not have had anything to do with it.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Although that is the normal operation, I wish Triumph had not mapped it that way. Hard for me to understand the rationale.

The ECM manufacturer changed in 05, but that should not have had anything to do with it.
Could you change that with a Tuneboy?

---Charlie

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Yes for the Sagem.

No for the Keihin.
Or at least the options are "greyed" for those selections on the Keihin screen. I know of at least one person that is looking deeper into enabling/accessing those options. My attention span is too short to do it myself. :D

·
Registered
658 Posts
Why would you want the fan to stay on, what with the water pump not working? Unless you really hate your battery, that is.

·
Registered
32 Posts
On a related note.....how much fluctuation are you folks seeing in your temps? I have a 2008 and will see it with 5 bars while riding, 6 bars if slow moving traffic and then on a hot day, Florida, it will go up to 7 (I don't believe it has gone and higher). The owner;s manual says normal operating temp is between 4 and 6..if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Why would you want the fan to stay on, what with the water pump not working? Unless you really hate your battery, that is.
It knocks the temperature of the water down in the radiator. Temps can climb after shutting off the engine, and the water pump.
Autos have been doing it for years. It's a feature that I like.
YMMV

---Charlie

·
Registered
658 Posts
It knocks the temperature of the water down in the radiator. Temps can climb after shutting off the engine, and the water pump.
Autos have been doing it for years. It's a feature that I like.
YMMV

---Charlie
Couldn't care less about the temperature of the water in the radiator myself, you know. As long as it doesn't exceed about 120C and boils. So far it hasn't and I haven't heard of it happening in a healthy motor (pls. note I live in a place where it can get really hot in the summer). I have heard about battery problems though with older 955 motors after a series of hot stops (955's had a 20% heftier battery, I think).

My old car did that (i.e. kept the fan on when switched off. That was a piece of french junk. My newer jap made car doesn't do it).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On a related note.....how much fluctuation are you folks seeing in your temps? I have a 2008 and will see it with 5 bars while riding, 6 bars if slow moving traffic and then on a hot day, Florida, it will go up to 7 (I don't believe it has gone and higher). The owner;s manual says normal operating temp is between 4 and 6..if I remember correctly.

This is why I first asked the question about the fan not staying on. My bike these days in the hot weather stays at 5-6 bars, and then in slow traffic and stop and go traffic, it goes to 7 bars. I saw it hit 8 bars one day, but that was only once and for only a minute or two. The book does say normal is 4-6 bars, but mine hits 7 almost everyday going home after work. I just thought having the fan cool the bike a little when I get home would benefit the bike, but thinking further, maybe the constant drain on the battery would be a problem as well. I guess there wouldn't be any engine damage with a hot engine at 7 bars because the engine would be off.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The fan would stay on after killing the motor on my TT, up until the shop loaded a different program in the computer. Hasn't done it since.

Even though the water pump isn't moving water after you shut it down, that whole deal where hot temperatures rises and cooler temps fall creates a current that will still make the water flow through the radiator and cool down. I think it would happen with or without the fan running, but the fan will cool it down quicker.

These are my opinions, yours may vary.

On my 06' Sprint the temp bars rarely get about seven and the fan does turn off w/ the motor.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Even though the water pump isn't moving water after you shut it down, that whole deal where hot temperatures rises and cooler temps fall creates a current that will still make the water flow through the radiator and cool down. I think it would happen with or without the fan running, but the fan will cool it down quicker.
Yes, convection will take place. And yes, the convection rate would increase with fan induced air flow. Agreed, the battery rating and state of charge would be a factor, but cool down set points are adjustable on ECMs with that feature.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Couldn't care less about the temperature of the water in the radiator myself, you know. As long as it doesn't exceed about 120C and boils. So far it hasn't and I haven't heard of it happening in a healthy motor (pls. note I live in a place where it can get really hot in the summer). I have heard about battery problems though with older 955 motors after a series of hot stops (955's had a 20% heftier battery, I think).

My old car did that (i.e. kept the fan on when switched off. That was a piece of french junk. My newer jap made car doesn't do it).
Temps will take a spike/rise after shutdown. The fan staying on knocks the edge off it for which I'm glad it does. My car does the same thing, again glad it's done that way (German).
I've seen this many times at the track where after a hot run on a hot day many times a race car will pop it's cork, shut down waiting at the cool down area. When electric fans became common, the smart thing was to wire it with a switch to keep spinning, cooling down the residual heat that always accumulates at the top of the system.

If you maintain your battery properly it shouldn't be an issue.
Also, it doesn't get any hotter at your part of the earth than other warm locals.

Don

·
Registered
658 Posts
IMO, if you are really worried about piston and exhaust valve residual heat dispersing in the head when the motor stops after having operated under VERY heavy load, the thing to do is let the bike idle a bit before shutting down.

As I said, personally I don't believe this is an issue, and obviously T engineers don't think so either (or is it a conspiracy to sell spare parts?). Believe me, the battery getting depleted is an issue as it has happened to more than 1 persons that I know of riding 955s in hot stop and go conditions (temperatures >40C in the shade, city riding in traffic were air temperature at engine level can reach 50C, I think that's quite hot). Batteries well maintained since these guys were everyday long distance riders.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I ride to work every day in Las Vegas on a 955, have seen outside temps around 125 before, sitting in a traffic jam on the blacktop, cooling fan blowing that hot air on my legs, like riding inside an oven.

When running errands in town, stopping and starting the bike several times, the cooling fan staying on for several minutes after I shut down, I have never had a problem restarting the bike. I don't think my temp gauge has ever even hit the midway mark in these kinds of conditions. I also plug my bike into a battery tender every night when I get home.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
+1 Dart

+1 Dart

NikosR

I also live in a hot climate in Summer time and so does my friend here steventhechef with his RS.

I have both an 04 Sprint and Daytona 955 and have ridden in 40+ C and never had a problem restarting either bike and I only ride weekends as a rule.
I don't think Steven has had that problem on his RS either.

DaveM:cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts