Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Legend which means spoked wheels and therefore tubes are a necessity.
Prior owner (who was theoretically a dealer) installed Maxxis radial tires on the bike.
Are tubes and radials always bad? Many of the tire manufacturer's sites say don't do it. Should I change out the tires before the season gets here?
Anybody know why the combination is supposed to be bad?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Not sure.All the new Bonnies come with at least one tubed radial tire.Supposedly,thats a no-no too,right? Radial/Bias tires on the same bike? Probably could be an issue if you do 300 miles a day at triple digit speeds though. :???:

·
Premium Member
3,797 Posts
The original tires on the TBirds, Legends, Adventurers, TBS were tubless radials with tubes in them. My TBS came with Metzler Mez4. I think Metzlers web site says it's a no no, but they also supplied the tubes that were installed in those original tires. I think the thing is more related to tubless tires than Radials. But I've never seen a "tube type radial" tire either.

Just another thing that makes me go Hmmmmmm.

[ This message was edited by: denny on 2007-01-31 23:07 ]

·
Registered
844 Posts
I think the Avon or Bridgestone tubes are marked as radial. On cars, the tubes were designed differently for radial versus bias ply. Since not many folks will run a tube in a car (tires are relatively cheap for cars), you don't see it done much anymore. Even funnier for Metzler is that there saucy cousins, Pirelli, don't care if you use tubes (at least in the TBS sizes). I just figured that if Metzler didn't want my money someone else would.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts